VPN and IP case

En Nu

Hello guys,
I came here hoping to find a answer about how vpn works and ip using.

Im not very used to internet, but I know that VPN is a ip provider to hide yours.

But, why to buy a VPN?!

I have my brother who lives in US and I may be able connect to his ip?! Am i able to do that connection? Somehow as a VPN way??

So, I use his ip to operate from my pc. Dunno if this is possibe.

Waiting for an answer :whistling::whistling:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A VPN is a normal client/server application, just like most of the other Internet applications you use. You install a VPN client and you use that to connect to a VPN server. The connection between you and the server is encrypted so that nobody can see any of your communications between you and the VPN server (so you hide what you're doing from your ISP for example). On the upstream side of the VPN server your data is sent as normal (i.e. not encrypted). One advantage of a VPN then, is security of your data up to the VPN server.

In addition, upstream of the VPN server the source IP address is the address of the VPN server and not your real IP address. This means that all Internet applications (web servers etc.) see only the VPN server address as the origin and not your real IP address. This is a security and anonymising feature, but most VPN servers also allow you to choose the server IP address to be in the range for a specific country. That way Internet applications (web servers etc.) think the client (that's you) is in the specified country. I, for example, am in Greece but by using a VPN I can request an upstream IP address to be in the range for the UK, then all Internet applications I use assume that I am a UK user. This can be an advantage with some applications.

There are free VPN services, but the bandwidth available is limited and the time you can stay connected is also usually limited. You have to pay for decent bandwidth and long-term connections to VPN services because you are using equipment (servers etc.) provided by the VPN company and that has to be paid for.

Why would you buy a VPN? Because you either want to secure all the data flowing from your computer to the VPN server so that nobody can eavesdrop on you and/or because you want to be able to appear to be in a different geographical region from the one you are really in. If you don't need either of those features then you don't need a VPN.

I hope that helps? :)

Last edited: