VR Build PC Recommendations

Iz_Potz

Hi All,

I'm starting a research project on the uses of VR and have been given £1300 to buy a new PC (incl. monitor) but I'm not very computer literate and don't know where to start in terms of purchasing a desktop for this. The PC will need to comfortably run modelling software, think Autocad, Maya, Blender, Unreal Enginer, Unity, and also be compatible with the oculus quest 2 system requirements - https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/oculus-quest-2/20359. I'd be greatful for any advice on this.

Thanks in advance!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi All,

I'm starting a research project on the uses of VR and have been given £1300 to buy a new PC (incl. monitor) but I'm not very computer literate and don't know where to start in terms of purchasing a desktop for this. The PC will need to comfortably run modelling software, think Autocad, Maya, Blender, Unreal Enginer, Unity, and also be compatible with the oculus quest 2 system requirements - https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/oculus-quest-2/20359. I'd be greatful for any advice on this.

Thanks in advance!
You won't get anything worthwhile at that budget I'm afraid, VR requires a fairly hefty GPU, especially with the packages you've described.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yes, thanks to the global silicon shortages and general cost of living, prices have gone sky high. £1300 may have got you something absolutely bare bones three years ago, with the system uses you’re looking at at this stage in time that amount of money will get you a top end 1080p rig. Handling VR is out of the question, sorry.

Ram

Maybe someone can configure a PCS desktop here suitable for VR ? The graphics card ( GPU ) is the most important part of a VR desktop computer.
I think without a monitor your looking at £1650 , so maybe £1800 Inc a 24" monitor.
That's with an I5 CPU and 3080 ti based graphics ( GFX) card .
Q: Am I allowed to ask who the research is for ?
University , college or private company ?

polycrac

Rising Star
The Quest 2 isn't very demanding, after all - it is designed to be used without a PC. The main limitation is the space for memory, which severely limits how many apps you can have installed at once.

To use Oculus Link, Meta recommends you have a PC with an Intel i5-4590 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater and at least 8GB of RAM. Most Nvidia GPUs from the 970-series and higher are compatible, as are AMD 400-series and higher GPUS. Full list here: https://www.meta.com/en-gb/help/que...sories/oculus-link/oculus-link-compatibility/

You CAN use any old PC, in terms of extra storage, but you wouldn't be able to run the VR using the PC hardware.

You can use a wired link (more stable) or airlink (no cable needed but you want 5GHz wifi as minimum) to connect to the PC. The better GPU you have, the more use you get from a PC link (aside from the extra storage), but you also have to think about the power consumption of the GPU - stick a powerhouse GPU in a standard office desktop and you just can't power it (and if you did, the heating could be a problem)

If you have to spend the budget now, focus on the CPU to maximise efficiency in rendering Blender projects and make do with the Quest's on-board graphics (but plan on plenty of PSU headroom so you can add a powerful GPU when more funds come available).