VR Purchasing in 2021

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Been contemplating whether or not to upgrade my current VR kit sometime soon or maybe give it a bit more time. I currently have the Oculus Rift Dev Kit which is 960x1080 per eye and been looking at the HP Reverb G2 which is 2160x2160 per eye!! 🤯 to me that sounds super impressive, to a lot of you guys it probably sounds impressive too.

However, I've started to see some new VR kits on the marketplace, for example the Pimax 8K headset (3840x2160 per eye) and the Varjo VR-3 ("human eye" resolution) which also includes hand tracking without any external cameras (apart from the ones built into the headset itself) and also without remotes! Do you think with the recent growth of VR technology that now would be a good time to upgrade, or allow for maybe more kits to come out and for older kits to drop in price?

Running 960x1080 per eye on MSFS is quite daunting as I do see a loooot of pixels, not sure whether the G2 is worth going for at around £600 for the kit. Anyone got the G2 and could tell me what it's like? Should I hold back?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I think we’ve covered the Pimax before:

Can’t find much info about the Varjo though… which isn’t usually a good sign.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I think we’ve covered the Pimax before:

Can’t find much info about the Varjo though… which isn’t usually a good sign.
Varjo is around €3000 as it's more of a business VR headset apparently, Lockheed Martin use it for flight training. Hopefully they bring out a consumer version but still wouldn't mind it 😳

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Varjo is around €3000 as it's more of a business VR headset apparently, Lockheed Martin use it for flight training. Hopefully they bring out a consumer version but still wouldn't mind it 😳
I think you might be best off sitting on it for a bit then and waiting for the next big thing in VR. Until then, you can just save up and dive into a pile of money like Scrooge McDuck…

4DE7CC85-A86A-46D5-B3D8-71FA30CA0A91.gif

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The VR front seems to have been quite quiet for a little while now, save for Facebooks Quest 2 (spit in the face of it)

There's these underlying rumblings of Microsoft's and Facebook's collaborative efforts on the VR "Metaverse", I haven't read too much into it because it contained the name "Facebook", but I wonder if that may be shaping future requirements in some way?

At the moment, I'd still say the Index was the best option (if you can get your hands on one)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Index would be the way to go IMO.... shocker, I have one haha.

The G2 has a better overall resolution and I can see why people would opt for it over the Index when it comes to movement games. When it comes to simulation though, it has to be the Index with the increased peripheral vision. It's sorely needed with FS2020 unfortunately, as they still haven't quite got the aspect ratio right in FP.