Vyper III weird Power Limits between Power Modes

TheMash

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,
hope you're doing good.
It's 5 months since I've got my PCS Vyper III and it's a beast of machine.
I consider it a wild horse, so it isn't for everyone. Need a little of tuning to get the best performance without "melting" (it can get very hot) the machine with deliberate squeezing of performance and losing power due to throttling.

These optimisation includes undervolting with ThrottleStop, setting Power Limits, disabling some Windows Services running too aggressively, causing the CPU to trigger Turbo and spinning fans very often as well as heat.

I would like to do a very thorough review about my experience with Vyper III, as I want to go deep in detail.
I hope will find some free time in the near future do it.
Part of experiments includes making the keyboard backlighting white and I achieved it just tweaking the GamingCenter, it's just two line of code.

Anyway, let's talk about Power Limits.
Basically I noticed there's something weird in them. From what I've seen on the internet (both forums and Youtube videos) the power limits for the CPU should have these values:

• Office Eco Mode: 25W
  • Office Normal Mode: 35W
  • Gaming Mode: 45W (to allow GPU to run at full power and avoid heatsink saturation, as it has shared heatpipes) + GPU overboost as Turbo Mode below
  • Turbo Mode: 100W (enables at hardware level the GPU to run at full 115W and even more)
    (can't mention here the commercial name of the boost used in other brand on this equivalent model)
While my PL values, switching between modes, are the following (a bit too high and very similar between each other):
  • Office Eco Mode: 25W
  • Office Normal Mode: 100W
  • Gaming Mode: 120W
  • Turbo Mode: 120W
AFAIK this value are set at UEFI/BIOS level by the reseller, as the manufacturer provides stock BIOS to be customised by the reseller (in this case PCS).
Yesterday I uninstalled the GamingCenter and reinstalled from scratch.
Before the reinstall the Office Normal Mode was set correctly at 35W. Gaming Mode and Turbo Mode have been since the first day that high.
Which is a bit too much in my opinion.

I've attached some screenshots running Prime95 FFTs (max CPU stress) and some HWINFO windows as well as the Gaming Center cycling all the power modes.

I would like to read your thoughts about this and what's the best way to set more manageable PL values between Power Modes, other than ThrottleStop (if there's any way to do that of course!).

Thanks in advance for your contribution :)

Screenshot 2021-02-02 143748.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-02 143931.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-02 144112.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-02 150709.jpg

wfree

These optimisation includes undervolting with ThrottleStop, setting Power Limits, disabling some Windows Services running too aggressively, causing the CPU to trigger Turbo and spinning fans very often as well as heat.

Part of experiments includes making the keyboard backlighting white and I achieved it just tweaking the GamingCenter, it's just two line of code.
Hoping to read this informations as soon as possible. 🤞🤞

And thanks for the info about power limits..