Wait for Ivy Bridge??? What do you think?

liamnic2

Super Star
Hey guys

I have recently been told that there is a new CPU series coming out during the middle of 2011 or the first half of 2012, no really I only got told about an hour ago.

Since I, and probably many other people, am looking to buy a new gaming PC and I have plenty of time to save up.
I was wandering if you think I should wait for the Ivy Bridge since I'll have to wait anyway.

Heres the/my situation

The ivy bridge is supposed to be about 20-30% faster than the sandy bridge and will replace it when it is produced. Now I have a rig set out to buy at the end of the year, from PCS, and its a i7-2600 which costs £1700.

Now I saw a picture/table that explains this but I'll have to look for it.

I was going to get the Sandy Bridge Extreme CPU's but I dont think I'll need that becuase:
1) Its probably going to be a 6-8 core and the games I want to play, shogun 2 etc, some FPS nothing like COD, wont use all the cores well enough.
2) Its going to really pricy since they will be replacing the i7 990x

Now Im going to prosume that the Ivy Bridge will have the same system as sandy bridge i.e i5 2500, i7 2600, something around that.
Im going to also prosume they will also be around the same price of the sandy bridge, becuase they both fit into the same range, premium graphics,which should make them both around the same price, I think?

Now the only things I'll have to worrie about in matter of price is the cost of the CPU and the motherboard becuase the ivy bridge is supposed to be smaller than the sandy.

The IB is supposed to have DX11 built in support. But I'll be getting the 580 but DX11 built isnt bad.

Now if I get the IB in 2012, wont DX12 be coming out anyway? And then games will switch to DX12, then that will bring in DX12 GPU's and that leaves me to purchase the whole plot all over again!!

Now im a bit into the whole total war series. And some FPS, crysis 1 and 2.

My question is what do you think ?

I know its miles away but when your thinking about money daily, i.e me. You never know how fast time passes by.

If anyone has any info please reply for me and others

Gorman

Author Level
Well info about IVY is confused at the minute with conflicting sources so heres my best guess.

Sandy was the 2nd Gen I7 release for the I7 little chips (the "desktop" ones like the I3 / I5 and lower I7). I expect IVY to be the follow up to the big I7 chips like the 9xx series. I call them little and big because the I3 / I5 / Sandy are all significantly smaller than the enthusiast I7 chips and all come with integrated GPU's.

So heres what i expect from IVY:

• Big chip I7 replacement
  • For the enthusiast market, ie ME
  • No integrated GPU
  • Possibly Quad Channel Memory support
  • Significantly more expensive than Sandy
  • Different socket to Sandy
  • 1366 compatible coolers

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I do love Intel names. I drive past the signs for Iveybridge whenever I leave the county, there is a Sandy Lane on the way to work...that has a bridge, and I live about 10 minutes from Penryn (see Intel table of "code names")

Imma write to Intel and suggest some more names for their post-IB chipset!

Gorman

Author Level
There are a hundred different leaked roadmaps floating about.

Using that particular graph the release i am waiting for is labelled Sandy Bridge - E socket 2011

Last edited:

liamnic2

Super Star
I think I'll just wait for the Ivy, I think the Sandy Bridge E will be a total overkill for total war games. But if its in my price range then what the hell lol

Rakk

The Awesome
Remember it still could be quite a while for it to come out, could be this time next year by the time it happens!

Though basically what I mean is: don't always wait for the next newest awesome thing that's about to come out, you'll be waiting forever cos once it comes out, something else new and even more awesome will be on the horizon.

liamnic2

Super Star
Well I'll wait till it comes, becuase I have ages to save up, and if it doesnt really seem that diffrent I'll get a Sandy bridge, which will be alot cheaper.