Wake on Lan - Nova 15

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,
Hope you're all well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Wake on Lan on the Nova 15 (or other reseller devices?)
I seem to have intermittent success - I've added a static route in my DHCP for the laptop and subsequently set a static IP within Windows. I've tested (successfully,) that the routing externally is correctly reaching my laptop (I use a WoL sniffer program.)
It seems as if after a few minutes of being in sleep, the device doesn't respond to WoL requests? I've enabled the only option in the bios under advanced control, it has the words wake on something (sorry can't remember exactly.)
If I place the laptop into sleep and immediately send a WoL request - this works fine. It's after a few minutes of what I can only assume the laptop entering a deeper sleep state, that it stops working?
Any assistance would be great

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Are you using WiFi or Ethernet to connect to your router? In either case ensure that the 'Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power' is unchecked.

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Hey man,
Hope you're well.

All options have been configured windows side and firewall side - it works for about 5 minutes when laptop's sleeping, but then it doesn't work at all.
Using wireshark I can see the packets reaching my laptop both internally and externally - I'm using UDP 9 internally and 1337 externally; the translation is working well.

Usually on intel CPU's there are the options for waking from S5 state in the BIOS, however with AMD there's not much changes in the BIOS regarding sleep states.

Cheers,
Josh

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey man,
Hope you're well.

All options have been configured windows side and firewall side - it works for about 5 minutes when laptop's sleeping, but then it doesn't work at all.
Using wireshark I can see the packets reaching my laptop both internally and externally - I'm using UDP 9 internally and 1337 externally; the translation is working well.

Usually on intel CPU's there are the options for waking from S5 state in the BIOS, however with AMD there's not much changes in the BIOS regarding sleep states.

Cheers,
Josh
If it works for 5 minutes then something is being turned off - probably to save power, a common feature on laptops. You have to find out what it is that's turning off.

You (still) haven't said whether it's wireless or cable attached, nor whether the 'Allow Windows to turn off this device......' is unchecked on the relevant network adapter. If using wireless I'd also check the Wireless Adapter setting in power and sleep settings, make sure it's set to Maximum Performance.

It's clear from your testing that WoL is working as expected but something powers off after 5 minutes.....

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry, WoL = Wake on Lan (ethernet), WoWLan = Wake on wireless Lan (which has never been made a standard.)

I agree that there's something powering off the device; I can attest that all options within windows are set to not "allow device to turn off power," and all advanced driver configurations within the network adapter are correct.

There's unfortunately no other options that I can see within the BIOS with relation to other power / sleep states - I should be able to get this sorted, considering I'm a network engineer by trade with CCNP credentials and MCSE for servers; but nothing's ever standard!

Had a notion that this could also be related to the ARP table in the router refreshing, hence adding a static DHCP route. At work at the moment so unable to check other settings.

Cheers,
Josh

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Just out of interest, why do you need to wake it remotely?

Mainly, just because, haha - I've got a fair amount of downtime at work at the moment due to COVID unfortunately, so a lot of the network migration projects are currently on hiatus whilst we sort service provider engineers out. Due to this, i'm sat twiddling my thumbs for about 75% of my work day. Unfortunately there's no BYOD policies in place, so anything I want to do for home projects has to be done remotely.

I've got SSH / VNC access to my linux server at home and added an RDP gateway section to this as well. As it's a laptop and not a desktop - I don't really want the Nova to be powered on 24*7.

Cheers,
Josh

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Mainly, just because, haha - I've got a fair amount of downtime at work at the moment due to COVID unfortunately, so a lot of the network migration projects are currently on hiatus whilst we sort service provider engineers out. Due to this, i'm sat twiddling my thumbs for about 75% of my work day. Unfortunately there's no BYOD policies in place, so anything I want to do for home projects has to be done remotely.

I've got SSH / VNC access to my linux server at home and added an RDP gateway section to this as well. As it's a laptop and not a desktop - I don't really want the Nova to be powered on 24*7.

Cheers,
Josh
TBH if it's on a cooling stand and mostly idle until you 'wake' it then I don't see any harm in leaving it on. It avoids you messing about with this wake on lan nightmare.....

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
TBH if it's on a cooling stand and mostly idle until you 'wake' it then I don't see any harm in leaving it on. It avoids you messing about with this wake on lan nightmare.....

Oh it's most definitely easier that way - However what type of engineer would I be if I didn't spend hours trying to get this working? Haha.
I just don't like things being left "on" if they're not made for it.

I'm sure I'll figure it out tonight

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh it's most definitely easier that way - However what type of engineer would I be if I didn't spend hours trying to get this working? Haha.
I just don't like things being left "on" if they're not made for it.

I'm sure I'll figure it out tonight
Just wondering, have you got control center installed? I know that can override some other windows settings annoyingly. If you do, try uninstalling it and testing then.

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
Just wondering, have you got control center installed? I know that can override some other windows settings annoyingly. If you do, try uninstalling it and testing then.

Hey Spyder,
Hope you're well mate,

I do have CCC installed, however I have the main service set to disabled (so as to not interfere with the power to the CPU etc.)
I'll have my partner home from work in a couple of hours so I'll ask her to resume the laptop from standby, that way I can at least connect on and see what's going on.

Many thanks,
Josh

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm assuming Fast Startup is off? That causes all sorts of strange issues.

Will it wake from hibernation?

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
I'm assuming Fast Startup is off? That causes all sorts of strange issues.

Will it wake from hibernation?

Fast startup is indeed off - Never felt the need for it with SSD's.
I've turned hibernation off - Never really felt a need for this either.

When the missus gets home I'll ask her to power on so I can remote on and tinker around; so I should have further information.

I believe it's in relation to sleep state (s5) - Usually there's options in the BIOS to enable waking from S5 but this time around I couldn't see anything regarding that. However, I'll let you guys know if I find anything within Windows.

Cheers guys,
Josh

NoNastyNick

Bronze Level Poster
It could well be a BIOS option that’s locked away on the standard BIOS unfortunately

I've finally figured it out - It appears that my router's "static arp entry" is not really static, and is actually not ARP but a DHCP reservation (despite the naming of this.) As a result, the ARP table is refreshing when the laptop is powered off for longer than 5 minutes.

I've got a workaround to use my Linux server internally which I'll just SSH to this in the future and wake from lan that way. I'll be adding PFSense to my Linux server at somepoint so I can just use the router as well, a router and use PFSense for all firewall needs.

Made a complaint with the manufacturer of the router as to why they've not followed standard and used their own naming.