Warranty options

bonalste

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, I'm hoping somebody could help me with my build. I'm buying quite an expensive machine, around the £2300/2400 mark, and I am obviously thinking about the warranty offered. Does anybody here advise getting the platinum warranty? It's expensive at £135, and for only £5 I can get silver, but I don't know how likely it is that something which doesn't break in the first year will break in the third. If it does, it would be nice to know that having a faulty item fixed is already covered, but if it isn't likely to occur than it would be throwing my money away. Please could someone could offer some advice? It would be much appreciated thanks :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I spent same amount of money and went for silver warranty. Considering how much you are spending it makes sense, at least for me, to be covered for 3 years. No one can't guarantee you that you won't experience any problems with your system, it could happen 1 month from purchase or 23 months after. For peace of mind go for it :)

steaky360

Not sure what advice you're after. I got the platinum warranty because of the value of my rig. I didn't want to be worried about a component over the three years.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hello Bonalste,

Warranty is a hard one to comment on as everyone has a different experience with hardware. We would like to think that were lucky enough to get hardware that would never breakdown but that simply isn't the case. Not the fault of PCS or any other manufacturer but things do breakdown.

Although it is a common phrase i have heard, "If it doesn't break down in the first place it will be fine for years" it really has no truth to it anything can breakdown at any time.

My advise would be that if you can afford the platinum warranty and its not going to hurt your wallet then i would go for it, 3 years parts, labor and return is a good deal for only £135.

It could save you a lot of stress and running around should something go wrong. Or there is always gold if you want to go half way.

This is just my opinion based on my experience.

Hope this helps a bit

Mike

Olaf

Is this something that can be ammended before the inital warranty is up? I've gone for silver warranty on mine only because its already alot of money to fork out in one go (not doing finance). Can I speak with PCS and have it upgraded to platinum before the initial warranty is up?

Rakk

The Awesome
Is this something that can be ammended before the inital warranty is up? I've gone for silver warranty on mine only because its already alot of money to fork out in one go (not doing finance). Can I speak with PCS and have it upgraded to platinum before the initial warranty is up?
To upgrade the warranty, you must do it before there is less than 3 months left on your current warranty - so if you have silver currently you must upgrade before your PC is 9 months old.

steaky360

I think you can upgrade the warranty before your current cover is up. I'd suggest maybe asking PCS directly for confirmation of when you have to upgrade.

Edit: too late (again)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think you have to have atleast 9 months warranty left to upgrade. - although Im not sure of the specific terms, so be best to contact PCS for an official answer.
Looking at the value of your system, I would go for at least two years warranty.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
For the platinum warranty to pay for itself you only really need 1 failure, things like the HDD or a RAM stick going bang isn't likely to set you back that much, but any of the 'main' components in a 2k rig could well be over that amount. The probability of something failing in a high end rig is slightly higher than for your bog standard office PC. That's just due to the increased pressure on the components, your call but if your spending that amount of cash on a rig it's wise to protect it.

Also yes as rakk said, you can upgrade so long as you are well within the warranty period.

Olaf

ok great, will look to upgrade at christmas lol. will obviously confirm with PCS tommorow as to whether 9 months is correct.

Last edited: