Was looking at a new mesh setup and discovered this!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Got a 3D printer handy?
49pqtwjj2m9a1.jpeg
Lols, thank you so much for posting this, I actually found a UK company with an extremely high end 3d Printer who were making some of these, I grabbed the last one on offer, have to glue the individual pieces together, but seriously cool!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Just set up the new mesh network and ran a Google speed test from my PC. got 28MB download and 20MB upload. So much better than 1MB (or less!) upload than I was getting.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, was almost idiotproof to set up which was a relief.
They’re so well thought out, the app support is amazing, plus the web gui is actually useful and has loads of useage stats and other really helpful tools. Plus I love the fact you can setup proper guest networks and automatically share keys to people’s mobiles. They’re just so much better than old access points.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
View attachment 38188

Starfield is getting on for 10 times that size (uncompressed), so I'm probably looking at at hour to an hour and a half to download it at those speeds. Definitely much much better performance!

out of pure annoyence interest according to google the fastest average internet speed in the world is in singapore, the average fixed internet download speed is 241 Mbps per second

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
out of pure annoyence interest according to google the fastest average internet speed in the world is in singapore, the average fixed internet download speed is 241 Mbps per second
A work colleague in Singapore been goading me with his 1Gbps for the last 10 years...at a cost of £30/month (I've only had it for 3 years @ £40-45/month), and he can have 10Gbps if he thinks he needs it...for £150/month :confused:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The UK is so far behind in internet speeds and costs it's insane

Might have something to do with BT going Private and getting that massive massive MASSIVE amount of tax payer money to "bring internet access to every home" then just not doing it and pocketing the money with no consequences

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Might have something to do with BT going Private and getting that massive massive MASSIVE amount of tax payer money to "bring internet access to every home" then just not doing it and pocketing the money with no consequences
My sister was a director at BT, she left a good 6 years ago when it was clear they were really on the rails, she was heading up sustainability and green initiatives so didn't have any input into the operational side.

But BT has been vastly mismanaged, they're much like Intel in the fact that there was very little impetus for them to improve services for decades as there really was no competition. Like them or not, it was really Virgin hitting the market that started to highlight just how much BT were strangling innovation, up until that point we just accepted it.

News on the street is that BT are so against upgrading the copper backbone because of the work it would entail, that they're actually trying to find workarounds into improving speeds over copper rather than doing what they'd agreed to and replace the copper with fibre. But the R&D going into that is costing billions and not really giving up any goods compared to all the very mainstream fibre competitors now in the market.

Another instance where they should never have been taken out of public ownership.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, the reason for the high-speed stuff in Singapore is that it's small and less spread out, and most of it was built fairly recently...so they didn't have to work with Victorian/Georgian infrastructure.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

homer j is off to Singapore

Homer Simpson Episode 13 GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just set up the new mesh network and ran a Google speed test from my PC. got 28MB download and 20MB upload. So much better than 1MB (or less!) upload than I was getting.
Run a speed test on the Deco app itself, as that tests the connection on the main hub direct to the internet connection, which will give you as true a measure of your broadband connection speed as possible. Running the speed test on your PC obviously has to take distance from router, wifi interference, etc into account.

Helps to see if you're getting the full speed promised by your ISP, or close to it at least.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So look what arrived! Huge thanks to @B4zookaw for posting the picture for this, if anyone is interested, there were a few sellers on eBay, but I eventually went with a seller on Etsy as they have a fully industrial 3D printer, not a home solution. The quality of the printing is really top end, very impressive. Also these guys included optional pins that you can hammer if you don't want to hot glue the legs and plate together

Furthermore, the guy accidentally shipped me a wall mount for the router initially, I raised a request on Etsy, he was so helpful, allowed me to keep the wall mount at no charge and still had the R2D2 pieces here by Thursday (ordered Saturday).

20230825_075345.jpg

I've plugged the router in just to make sure it works ok, had to use a custom router as a modem as the BT Home Hub 2 doesn't allow for bridged connections. So plugged in an Asus router in bridged mode. Obviously once we're on fibre it will just be a direct connection, no need for a modem.

The wifi coverage only manages about half of the house I'm currently in, but when you're in range my god it's fast, 1.2Gbps out of the box (achieved over file transfer tests over the network), far far faster than the BT wifi, just leaps and bounds better. Setup is an absolute breeze, the longest part is for the router to update the firmware.

This is a lovely bit of kit!

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So look what arrived! Huge thanks to @B4zookaw for posting the picture for this, if anyone is interested, there were a few sellers on eBay, but I eventually went with a seller on Etsy as they have a fully industrial 3D printer, not a home solution. The quality of the printing is really top end, very impressive. Also these guys included optional pins that you can hammer if you don't want to hot glue the legs and plate together

Furthermore, the guy accidentally shipped me a wall mount for the router initially, I raised a request on Etsy, he was so helpful, allowed me to keep the wall mount at no charge and still had the R2D2 pieces here by Thursday (ordered Saturday).

View attachment 38285

I've plugged the router in just to make sure it works ok, had to use a custom router as a modem as the BT Home Hub 2 doesn't allow for bridged connections. So plugged in an Asus router in bridged mode. Obviously once we're on fibre it will just be a direct connection, no need for a modem.

The wifi coverage only manages about half of the house I'm currently in, but when you're in range my god it's fast, 1.2Gbps out of the box (achieved over file transfer tests over the network), far far faster than the BT wifi, just leaps and bounds better. Setup is an absolute breeze, the longest part is for the router to update the firmware.

This is a lovely bit of kit!
You just have to find/design some R2D2 stickers for that (scaled to A4-size will probably be about right)!

il_1588xN.2265205009_a3ob.jpg

SVG version, so scalable...

Last edited: