Webcam no longer detected!

Haz256

Hi there

I have had my Optimus V laptop for almost 3 months now, and it's been great. Except that the webcam has suddenly stopped working. I have no idea why, I just went to use it one day and apparently there is no webcam detectable.

The problem persists in Skype and with the Windows 8 'Camera' app. I have looked at the device manager, in Imaging devices section, and the drivers are there. But greyed out.faded (and can be seen only when selecting 'show hidden devices').

Is this a hardware fault? I've tried restarting my PC (though the problem has been happening for about a week now), scanning for hardwars changes in device manager, and even tried uninstalling the drivers in the hopes the PC would detect the webcam and re-install them. But to no avail.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You do have the Hotkey driver/software (supplied on the PCS driver disk) properly installed don't you?

Haz256

Yes, I do. The webcam was working on day, and then just stopped the next. I will try re-installing the drivers from the disk PCS supplied with the laptop.

Which of the driver options would include the one for the webcam, out of interest? Or would it be beneficial to just re-install them all, just in case?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes, I do. The webcam was working on day, and then just stopped the next. I will try re-installing the drivers from the disk PCS supplied with the laptop.

Which of the driver options would include the one for the webcam, out of interest? Or would it be beneficial to just re-install them all, just in case?

On my Optimus IV there is no driver for the webcam but I'm not sure if that's also true of the Optimus V. It most certainly does need the Hotkey software though. Try downloading the latest version from the Clevo site and install that.

When you say "the webcam was working one day, and then just stopped the next" what changed? It is remotely possible that you've had a suprious hardware failure, but it's way more likely that something you changed, installed, removed, etc. has caused the webcam issue. So if you can think back to what you were doing at the time you'll probably find the cause.

Haz256

Well this is rather embarrassing. After installation of new drivers (and it just not working still) I found a similar question in a different forum on another site:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/18906-63-find-driver-webcam

Turns out the webcam was just switched off. DERP! Must have pressed Fn-F10 on my laptop.

Scary thing is, this machine has no LED or visual notification on screen to tell you that you've been silly and switched it off.

Thanks for the help/advice!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well this is rather embarrassing. After installation of new drivers (and it just not working still) I found a similar question in a different forum on another site:

Turns out the webcam was just switched off. DERP! Must have pressed Fn-F10 on my laptop.

Scary thing is, this machine has no LED or visual notification on screen to tell you that you've been silly and switched it off.

No problem, we've all done similar things! :eek:

amoshi

Gold Level Poster

If you double click the Hotkey icon in the taskbar, you get this window which tells you what is switched on and off. :)
2015-05-09_14-44-16.png