Weird and annoying charging problem :)

Mustey

I've received today a USB charger, a USB external battery and some cables. I paid a little extra to get good brands and made sure everything is rated for 65w or more.

All chargers, batteries and cables work well with all my phones and my other laptops, including an XPS-15 with dedicated GPU and 16gb of RAM...

BUT I can't get the Clevo NS50MU ("LAFITE PRO 15") to charge from the external battery!
The battery states a LOT of charging standards and is rated for 65w.
Again: the USB charger works fine on the laptop and all cables work fine, just not the battery... And the battery charges other (more power-hungry) laptops, no problem.

So, can I please get some technical info about the USB-C charging support for the Clevo NS50MU? I'll then check if the standard it uses is supported by the battery...
I am still studying but I feel confident with power electronics. So, don't spare me the details :)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's no mention of the chassis having any power delivery on the one USB C port, if it did it would state (PD) in brackets.

It has a secondary Thunderbolt port, but that would only work with a specific Thunderbolt 4 connection, not USB C.

"New thin-and-light laptops that need less than 100 watts to charge will be required to offer USB Type-C charging on at least one of their Thunderbolt 4 ports. And when a Thunderbolt 4 laptop is connected to a Thunderbolt 4 dock, it must be able to wake from sleep from a connected keyboard or mouse."

Source: https://uk.pcmag.com/components/131...this-new-interface-will-matter-in-pcs-in-2021

But it's all a bit murky, for conclusive advice I would ask PCS.

1621193095318.png

Mustey

yes, I do have that lightning sticker which I didn't know what it means. Now I know it's thunderbolt 4 and that might help me build an adapter between the battery and the laptop. Thanks.

Sorry, they are the same shape. So, I didn't know if they are USB-C or TB.

I still hope for some input from technical support, if possible, please :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I can't wait for USB 4 to put all these problems to bed, it's just so utterly confusing at the moment with USB / Thunderbolt.