weird gpu occurance

kokabel

Bronze Level Poster
Well, I'm not even sure how to describe what just happened, but it made me panic and wonder.

My GPU (GTX 680 4gb) started making a strange sound, a sort of high pitched squeaking. The next thing I noticed was that the taskbar on my desktop, which as I am running generic Windows7, usually shows part of the wallpaper image, went blue. Then I looked at the Nvidia GPU meter widget I have on my desktop (I'm not sure how good it is, but I like having it there - this little thing http://addgadgets.com/gpu_meter/ ) was showing some crazy activity in the neat little graph at the bottom of the Widget, with what I think was the Shader Clock line spiking up crazily and back down, with the Memory Controller also spiking I believe. I didn't get a good look at it, because I panicked and shut down my computer.

So, what the hell? Should I be concerned? All I was doing was browsing some webpages, and it has never done anything of the sort before. Wish I could describe this better!

Will open up the case tomorrow to give it a good dust out and check nothing is touching anything it shouldn't be. Urgh!

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You could try a clean installation of Nvidia drivers and monitor the GPU using a different programme.

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
the old turn it off and turn it back on trick will probably work with this, turn it back on and test it, either way if it's faulty you will have to get it replaced so don't be too worried. I would try cleaning out your system first but I wouldn't imagine that's the problem..

you're not overclocking are you?

steaky360

the old turn it off and turn it back on trick will probably work with this,

Definitely step one of 90% of PC problems :)

Has it re-occurred? or only happened the one time? If it keeps happening definitely re-install drivers etc. If it has not happened again, might have just been a hiccup. Are you using the latest released drivers (301.42) or the 'beta' drivers?

kokabel

Bronze Level Poster
I'm using beta drivers, as I was advised to do so to get even more performance out of the card on GW2. Didn't occur to me to mention this last night when I was tired and befuddled, sorry! Not overclocking either. It just worried me how out of the blue it all happened, especially as I wasn't actually doing anything that would put the card under load.

Hasn't re-occurred, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Thought my card was going to explode, especially with the weird noise it was making.

Last edited:

steaky360

Yeah the noise is a bit disconcerting, if you've had a look inside and the card is not overly dusty or anything if it happens again might be worth while ringing PCS tech support see if they've heard of anything similar? Thinking about it I don't know how using beta drivers could make the Gfx card produce a strange noise.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
It might have been that program you were using, may have caused some issue or it to start spiking or running in some crazy way.

Buzz

Master
the old turn it off and turn it back on trick will probably work with this, turn it back on and test it, either way if it's faulty you will have to get it replaced so don't be too worried. I would try cleaning out your system first but I wouldn't imagine that's the problem..

you're not overclocking are you?

[video=youtube;nn2FB1P_Mn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8[/video]