Weird noise

Dayve

Hearing a weird noise in my PC. It's like periodic individual chirps, like one chirp at a time spaced a few seconds apart, then a machine-gun chirp lasting up to one second. It's quiet but I can hear it if I don't have my headphones on. Doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it goes days without happening, and there are no other issues - computer works completely fine.

I'm pretty sure it's the HDD. It has to be right? There's nothing else in there that has any moving parts, except for the fans but I'm certain none of the fans are causing it.

Since my Windows installation (and everything else) is on the SSD and the HDD is only used for storage (and currently has absolutely nothing on it whatsoever) could I just unplug the cables to the HDD to cut power to it? Will the computer boot up as normal afterwards if I do that?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah, if you disconnect the power and data cables from the HDD the system will still boot as the OS is on your SSD. And if the noise disappears, you have your culprit.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Some drives are noisy. Check the SMART data for the drive and if that's all good just forget about it.

Dayve

Some drives are noisy. Check the SMART data for the drive and if that's all good just forget about it.

I've had the PC for at least 2 years now though and the noise is new. Started about 2 weeks ago. I'll unplug the HDD when I get home later and see if that puts an end to it. I won't miss it - I wasted money even having it put in because I've never needed it. I never install more than a couple of games at a time so my SSD has always been more than ample for my needs.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've had the PC for at least 2 years now though and the noise is new. Started about 2 weeks ago. I'll unplug the HDD when I get home later and see if that puts an end to it. I won't miss it - I wasted money even having it put in because I've never needed it. I never install more than a couple of games at a time so my SSD has always been more than ample for my needs.
Yeah my PCS build had a SSD and a HDD, HDD quickly got the boot as it was too noisy relative to fans etc. SSDs only from there on

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I appreciate the silence that an all SSD system provides, but if you're going to trust all your data to an SSD then you must also have a regular and reliable backup strategy. SSDs are remarkably reliable these days, but when they fail the data they hold is gone forever.

That chirpy birdsong might annoy you for a while, but HDDs are a very cost-effective and reliable storage mechanism for a whole bunch of user data. ;)

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I appreciate the silence that an all SSD system provides, but if you're going to trust all your data to an SSD then you must also have a regular and reliable backup strategy. SSDs are remarkably reliable these days, but when they fail the data they hold is gone forever.

That chirpy birdsong might annoy you for a while, but HDDs are a very cost-effective and reliable storage mechanism for a whole bunch of user data. ;)
Totally agree, that's why there is a 4TB NAS with spinning disks locked away in my TV cabinet!

Dayve

Ok I disconnected the hard drive and while I am absolutely shocked at how quiet a PC can be without an old fashioned HDD in it (this is the first time I've ever used one without a HDD) the weird chirping noise in still there.

I'm not able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from... just that it's in there somewhere.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
In that case, you've got a few more sources to check for your hidden chirping.

Use a pencil (or your finger) to stop each of the fans in turn to see if that solves the issue. Best case is it's just dust causing an imbalance and a clean will cure it...worst case it will need a new fan.

After that, I think we're into electronic circuitry coil whine or a tiny short-circuit somewhere ;)

Dayve

In that case, you've got a few more sources to check for your hidden chirping.

Use a pencil (or your finger) to stop each of the fans in turn to see if that solves the issue. Best case is it's just dust causing an imbalance and a clean will cure it...worst case it will need a new fan.

After that, I think we're into electronic circuitry coil whine or a tiny short-circuit somewhere ;)

When I first noticed it a few weeks ago I blew all the dust out of it. I have an actual air compressor that you plug in, it's very powerful, really gives it a good clean, and it stopped for about 2 weeks then came back.

I'll have to open the side when it's switched on later, sit waiting for the chirps, then try to stop each fan in time. Trouble is they're very quick!

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hope you didn't blast the fans with the full force of the compressed air! you could damage the bearings. Always hold the fans with a finger when give them a dusting. I wonder if might be the GPU fan, and the sound comes as the fans start to spin up from 0%? Would explain why it's not a a constant noise perhaps.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Very true, but I like shiny new things.... :p Most of my data on the SSDs is just software and games, that can be reinstalled. Any critical data is usually cloud based, so backed up in that regard.