Weird sound when booting up a game.

My PC has all of a sudden started to make these weird whining/squeaking noise. It only starts when I boot up a game then doesn't go away. I've had the pc for little over a year now, so it's a bit odd. I've done a video of the noise but I can't attach it to the post šŸ˜”

Thanks to anyone who can help.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You'll have to upload it to a sharing site (or youtube) and share the link here.

If it's just in games, then it might be the GPU fans spinning up from idle, and a bearing on its way out, or a fan catching on something.

You'll have to upload it to a sharing site (or youtube) and share the link here.

If it's just in games, then it might be the GPU fans spinning up from idle, and a bearing on its way out, or a fan catching on something.

Can you view it on there ? I don't think it sounds like a fan but I'm probably wrong.

Can you post your PC specs?
Case
PCS SPECTRUM G ARGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700F (2.9GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUSĀ® TUF GAMING B560-PLUS WIFI: ATX, LGA1200, USB 3.2, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB PCS PRO DDR4 2666MHz (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3050 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W CV SERIESā„¢ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 120 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Can you view it on there ? I don't think it sounds like a fan but I'm probably wrong.
Couldn't hear a lot on the video, but the bit of 'strange' noise I heard (a kind of warbling/whistling) could still be a fan.

To test this out, you can lightly touch the centre of each fan in sequence to see which one is causing it. If none of them are, we'll have to come up with other ideas...but there are not that many moving parts to create that noise (just the GPU fans, case fans, AIO fans, or AIO pump).

Couldn't hear a lot on the video, but the bit of 'strange' noise I heard (a kind of warbling/whistling) could still be a fan.

To test this out, you can lightly touch the centre of each fan in sequence to see which one is causing it. If none of them are, we'll have to come up with other ideas...but there are not that many moving parts to create that noise (just the GPU fans, case fans, AIO fans, or AIO pump).
I've stopped the case fans so if it's a fan on guessing it's the CPU. I'll have to have a look when I get a min. Thanks

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
If the noise is only occurring when your hardware is under load, then it would typically indicate an issue with a fan(s).

You can download software like MSI Afterburner to test the noise under higher fan utilisation %, or use your BIOS fan tuning capabilities to turn each specific fan up to identify the fan causing the noise.

It's also a bit of a long shot, but have you installed a hard disk to the PC? I can see you have an SSD, but many users (myself included) install a desperate hard disk for a second ceap + larger storage.

If the noise is only occurring when your hardware is under load, then it would typically indicate an issue with a fan(s).

You can download software like MSI Afterburner to test the noise under higher fan utilisation %, or use your BIOS fan tuning capabilities to turn each specific fan up to identify the fan causing the noise.

It's also a bit of a long shot, but have you installed a hard disk to the PC? I can see you have an SSD, but many users (myself included) install a desperate hard disk for a second ceap + larger storage.

More than likely the CPU fan more I think about it. Just had fan problems before and it sounds completely different. Just have a ssd no hdd.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've not tried to listen to the video, but if not fans then the other possibility is coil whine from the GPU