What a fault i have, trying to work through it, makes no sense to me anymore:)

leea123

Enthusiast
So had pc around 18 months now , can post spec again if required but something very strange hapend this evening and really not sure what to make of it.
Turned the pc on, and for some reason my keyboard keys was not responding , did not think too much of it, removed from usb and plugged back in all ok .

Windows loaded fine on desktop . Then i go to install a game from game pass and it downloads and i get error at the end of the install. I thought that was strange , i then changed the drive to download the game too, exactly the same . Tried my three hard drives all the same result .I then thought ok maybe a xbox app issue .
I then logged into steam . Tried to download a game from there no luck it says missing file privileges and then disk error when starting to download . Now if it was one hdd going wrong i get that , it happens, but same thing when happening on all three hard drives .

Then i start thinking a little logically for me . If it is happening on all hard drives then the common factor is the motherboard as all connected to that , So then i am thinking could it be something popped on the motherboard causing this. I could not think of anything else that is common with all three hdd.

I then thought ok, I will uninstall steam which i did , i reinstalled steam and since then i can download any game from steam to any hard drive and no issues it seems now. tried several . Oh yeah i also format one of the drives as it was almost empty and wanted to try on a clean formatted drive.
Still having issues with the game pass downloading games, some work and so do not , games get to 100 percent then error and a code like 0x80073dod for example. Done all the normal things, uninstall and all that, Am hoping its a issue there side , but the trouble with steam and the disk errors i had still make me think it could be something else, even though i seemed to have got that working at moment .

Very very strange this , its not as though i have touched anything or done anything at all, . It cant be the hard drives I am sure , The only thing that i have updated has been windows updates , and some new firmware updates for icue, really cant see that being an issue .

How can i turn on a pc, and cant download any games to any drives , just makes no sense , then a reinstall of steam works and no issues with steam now , if i can get the xbox game pass working ok, then i have worked it all out , but like i say some games install some do not no matter what drive i send them too . . Just makes no sense to me at all.
Just tried my epic games launcher , to uninstall a few games and all i cant uninstall anything, through app, had to remove and reinstall app, then it worked again, i so confused, everything works great, then the next day it all goes to pot haha

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Can you please post the full specs from your original PCS order, so that we can all see exactly what we're dealing with. Also add in anything you've added/removed since the original order.

Check your RAM, that's always the first port of call with problems like this. The 100% effective way is to remove one stick at a time and run on the other(s). Swap sticks after a day or so and see whether the problem is isolated to one stick. The other, 98% effective, way is to download Memtest86. Use the downloaded and extracted tool to make a bootable UISB drive (1GB is plenty big enough) and then boot that USB drive. Memtest86 will start running as soon as it boots. If no errors are found after the 4 iterations that the free version does, then restart Memtest86 and do another 4 iterations.

leea123

Enthusiast
Can you please post the full specs from your original PCS order, so that we can all see exactly what we're dealing with. Also add in anything you've added/removed since the original order.

Check your RAM, that's always the first port of call with problems like this. The 100% effective way is to remove one stick at a time and run on the other(s). Swap sticks after a day or so and see whether the problem is isolated to one stick. The other, 98% effective, way is to download Memtest86. Use the downloaded and extracted tool to make a bootable UISB drive (1GB is plenty big enough) and then boot that USB drive. Memtest86 will start running as soon as it boots. If no errors are found after the 4 iterations that the free version does, then restart Memtest86 and do another 4 iterations.
Thank you, i went full steam ahead and renstalled windows, all working now, will see how it goes, just got to set up a few things again now , but no more issues, spoke to pcs and they said if happens again they would rma system. Thank you