What are you reading?

peter4150412

I read tsurezure children manga and This is my favorite manga.
AND
What are you reading?

Last edited by a moderator:

polycrac

Rising Star
The Grand Dark, by Richard Kadrey. Too early to be sure (might be a bit too steampunk for me), but am enjoying it so far and I loved his Sandman Slim books.

Stephen M

Author Level
The obvious and pedantic answer is, this thread on the PCS fora.

I do not read a lot, although have spells when I really enjoy reading and will finish several books in a week. The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett are among my favourites, as are Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's series.

Anyone who likes SciFi or adventure I would recommend Homer to. It is a shame that some people are put off by the "Classic" tag or that it is ancient, The Iliad and Odyssey are two great stories and I am surprised someone like Spielberg has not made a modern film of them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm currently reading Travels and Researches in Crete by Captain Thomas Spratt, published in 1865. Yes, it's non-fiction and no, it's not likely to be of interest to anyone else! It's out of print in any case, you can only get it via antique book reproduction companies...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I do not read a lot, although have spells when I really enjoy reading and will finish several books in a week. The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett are among my favourites, as are Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's series.

Anyone who likes SciFi or adventure I would recommend Homer to. It is a shame that some people are put off by the "Classic" tag or that it is ancient, The Iliad and Odyssey are two great stories and I am surprised someone like Spielberg has not made a modern film of them.
I was obsessed with the Discworld books when I was younger, I really gave up reading when my life turned digital. Another linked to Terry Pratchett, co-written with Neil Gaiman, is Good Omens which has just been made into a series on Amazon, but the book is far far better.

Also the Brentford "Trilogy" by Robert Rankin which is like an adult version of the Discworld books, very funny.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Indeed it has and I've had the pdf versions (there are two volumes) for a few years. It's much easier reading printed material however (IMO). I'm not an ebook fan - despite having written one and being in the process of writing another.....

via Tapatalk

Shepard

Enthusiast
A scary blind date? o_O
It's about a writer that goes to Calcutta, to find another author that has supposedly been dead for years. Once arrived he finds himself researching an underground cult called Song of Kali, including human sacrifice and black robes and weird Sanskrit chanting. It's oddly entertaining.

Stappa

Enthusiast
Brothers in Blood by Simon Scarrow......book 13 from the Eagles of the Empire series....my second read of this series, very good imo

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Brothers in Blood by Simon Scarrow......book 13 from the Eagles of the Empire series....my second read of this series, very good imo
Ah, Cato and Macro. I've read quite a few of his books featuring those two...

Álvaro

Bronze Level Poster

Dan Simmons made a science-fiction version of those though (Ilion and Olympus). I read it quite a long time ago but it was quite entertaining.

Shepard

Enthusiast
If you are into SciFi I very, very, very strongly recommend this:

Most people know of Sergei because of his book series Night Watch, which was made into a movie as well but this Labyrinth series is soooo much better!!! Some people might compare it to ready player one, but Sergei's books have been published way before that it's way more distorted and dystopian and grown-up. This series is one of my three all-time favourite SciFi books!!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you are into SciFi I very, very, very strongly recommend this:

Most people know of Sergei because of his book series Night Watch, which was made into a movie as well but this Labyrinth series is soooo much better!!! Some people might compare it to ready player one, but Sergei's books have been published way before that it's way more distorted and dystopian and grown-up. This series is one of my three all-time favourite SciFi books!!!
Man, I loved Night Watch!!!

Will definitely look out for this, thanks for the tip!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm currently re-reading deco for divers. Can't dive during lockdown so it's the next best thing.
That sound daft (the no diving). How will you catch COVID-19 from a tank of air? And it's not exactly possible for anyone to cough on you - is it? :rolleyes:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
That sound daft (the no diving). How will you catch COVID-19 from a tank of air? And it's not exactly possible for anyone to cough on you - is it? :rolleyes:

What if something happens and you require rescuing*? Or a hyperbaric recompression chamber (which means taking a nurse and a doctor away)?

You need contact with people at dive sites - gas fills, for example.

Agree it sounds daft on the face of it but unfortunately it's not :(

*As happened to two divers just like week.