What can I save from my dead video editing PC?

Haha. Yes it is a bit embarrassing, isn't it? When it was my main editing machine it sat on the desk and was kept clean. Since it got relegated to a back-up role about three years ago it was put on the floor near the dog's bed. I'll try cleaning it all up and putting it back together. See what happens. If it's still unresponsive I might try this: https://www.ebuyer.com/981878-alpha...-16gb-ram-amd-wraith-custom-pc-bundle-as-b001
Ahh not embarassing at all at one time or another we have all been guilty of it im intrested to see what happens when you put it all back together ( after a clean ) keep us posted !

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
Well, well. Who would have thought it, eh? I had started to strip my dead video editing machine, either to prepare it for a new motherboard and CPU or to salvage parts from it. When I went to unhook the DVD drive, here's what I found:

fried dvd.jpg

That would account for the burning smell, I thought.

I managed to borrow a 300W PSU from another machine this week and connected it to my 'dead' machine. When I pressed the power switch, which is clear plastic and has a light in it, I noticed the faintest of glows from the switch light. I pressed it a couple more times and suddenly, and I'm not kidding here, a spark flashed out of the memory card reader on the front panel and then the motherboard and hard drives powered up! I reset the BIOS and the thing booted into Windows. Slap me with a slice of liver, I was amazed.

I (thought I) had checked every connection on that blooming PSU. I followed two different YouTube guides and was pretty certain it was OK. But I'd disconnected the device further down the supply cable, so hadn't noticed this little fry-up.

I ordered a replacement PSU, a Corsair 550W with loads of connections, and put it all back together. I reconfigured the drives with the OS on a Samsung SSD and then three 3TB HDDs in RAID5 for media storage and three 1.5TB HDDs in RAID5 as a working data disc. I'm so happy, I've spent the money I've saved on not having to get a motherboard on a new monitor.

Another bonus is that the old PSU generated an annoying noise in the computer's audio system. It sounded like those crickets you hear in night-time scenes in old American TV shows and it was always there. It was especially annoying when sound levels were turned low. The new one is silent!

So thanks, Jamie, for shaming me into cleaning up my old PC; as a result of that and a £60 power supply it lives again!

I'm very grateful to those who have chipped in on this story. A very happy new year to you all.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, well. Who would have thought it, eh? I had started to strip my dead video editing machine, either to prepare it for a new motherboard and CPU or to salvage parts from it. When I went to unhook the DVD drive, here's what I found:

View attachment 21163

I managed to borrow a 300W PSU from another machine this week and connected it to my 'dead' machine. When I pressed the power switch, which is clear plastic and has a light in it, I noticed the faintest of glows from the switch light. I pressed it a couple more times and suddenly, and I'm not kidding here, a spark flashed out of the memory card reader on the front panel and then the motherboard and hard drives powered up! I reset the BIOS and the thing booted into Windows. Slap me with a slice of liver, I was amazed.

I (thought I) had checked every connection on that blooming PSU. I followed two different YouTube guides and was pretty certain it was OK. But I'd disconnected the device further down the supply cable, so hadn't noticed this little fry-up.

I ordered a replacement PSU, a Corsair 550W with loads of connections, and put it all back together. I reconfigured the drives with the OS on a Samsung SSD and then three 3TB HDDs in RAID5 for media storage and three 1.5TB HDDs in RAID5 as a working data disc. I'm so happy, I've spent the money I've saved on not having to get a motherboard on a new monitor.

Another bonus is that the old PSU generated an annoying noise in the computer's audio system. It sounded like those crickets you hear in night-time scenes in old American TV shows and it was always there. It was especially annoying when sound levels were turned low. The new one is silent!

So thanks, Jamie, for shaming me into cleaning up my old PC; as a result of that and a £60 power supply it lives again!

I'm very grateful to those who have chipped in on this story. A very happy new year to you all.
My word, I would not have imagined a drive to cause a surge, that’s quite unusual, but good in a way as easily fixable. Very pleased for you!

View attachment 21163

Thats awesome news :) spend some of that extra wealth on a rated surge protector aswell :) well done tho well rescued !!!!

View attachment 21163

Attachments

• 4t4j7y.jpg
    4t4j7y.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 156