What can wake my Vortex out of sleep mode ?

d4005

Bronze Level Poster
Obviously the keyboard keypress and/or mouse click can wake it up, but what other things? Mouse movement definitely doesn't wake it up.

I prefer to make it sleep rather than hibernate (hibernation is disabled, to save having a 32GB file saved each time). After choosing Win 7 Start menu then "Sleep", it will happily go into sleep mode. But then sometimes (not all the time), after finally getting to sleep and the fans go off and the illuminated keyboard goes off, it'll wait a second and then wake straight back up and show the windows fast login menu. I have to hold the power button for a second to put it back to sleep. Then it's 50/50 whether it'll wake itself up again. Sometimes I have go through this procedure 3 times to make it go to sleep. On other occasions it'll work first time.

I just tried disabling the LAN adaptor's "wake on LAN". That's something I've never really understood how that should work. That could be it, or could it? Unfortunately, the sleep I'm about to put it in won't necessarily tell me that disabling that has made a difference. It'd take probably half a dozen sleeps before I'd really be confident anything had worked. Might even need a reboot/proper-shutdown for that change to be effected.

I'd still love to know if there are other things I'm not thinking of that can wake a sleeping laptop.

d4005

Bronze Level Poster
So much for wake on LAN, that wasn't it. Still waking up when trying to put it to sleep.