What cpu is better at the moment?

OluOla

Bronze Level Poster
I have currently the ryzen 5 5600 x parted with the Asus x570 gaming plus motherboard and Im thinking of changing it for the i5 12600k and the Asus prime z 690-p wifi.
I saw that the intel side had more fps in terms of gaming and it was practically the same price aswell is the intel isn't the intel motherboard more future proof as it can support ddr5 ram?
Also for cooling is the pcs water coolers good of should I just stick to the cooler master 212 black edition

OluOla

Bronze Level Poster
First off, is there anything that your Ryzen chip is struggling with?
No not at all I sent back the pc for rma due to issues it was having so its back at pcs warehouse so I have the opportunity to change things out if needed.

So I was wondering if its a smart decision to change these things out because when I checked the website it seems that combo is actually cheaper and better than what I went for.

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
If it is indeed a 'negative cost' option then I for one don't see why not...........waits to get shouted at 🤦‍♂️
Negative cost option? What do you mean? They're not going to let you swap those parts out for free. You'd have to pay cost price for the CPU and motherboard. Pointless.

ThoRob

Silver Level Poster
Save your money for the Ryzen 7000 later this year if you really want to upgrade (Although I wouldn't even do that if current CPU is not causing you issues.)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Negative cost option? What do you mean? They're not going to let you swap those parts out for free. You'd have to pay cost price for the CPU and motherboard. Pointless.
yeah, they are only going to fix whatever the problem was that you RMA'd it for and replace any parts like for like

OluOla

Bronze Level Poster
Yea I've just done most the research and realised what I was trying to do doesn't make any sense. In my head it made sense for me to upgrade to the intel 12600k from the 5 5600x also changing the motherboards so if I wanted to use ddr5 ram down the future it would be better aswell as the cpu being practically the same for games but much better for work.

Then I realised if I where to do that I would have to buy ddr5 ram that costs like 240 pounds and doesn't even offer that much performance gain some cases even worse than ddr4 I would be spending a lot more for nothing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yea I've just done most the research and realised what I was trying to do doesn't make any sense. In my head it made sense for me to upgrade to the intel 12600k from the 5 5600x also changing the motherboards so if I wanted to use ddr5 ram down the future it would be better aswell as the cpu being practically the same for games but much better for work.

Then I realised if I where to do that I would have to buy ddr5 ram that costs like 240 pounds and doesn't even offer that much performance gain some cases even worse than ddr4 I would be spending a lot more for nothing.
Changing platform to Intel would basically be a whole new system.

You don't need to worry about upgrading the platform for 7 - 10 years unless something really drastic happens in the future. The platform doesn't really need upgrading during the lifetime of the build if it's properly configured. It's only the GPU, but that would be after a few years at least normally.