What GPU for gaming?

RobertoDub

Hi everyone,
if I wanted to buy a gaming laptop now instead of waiting for the next generation of graphics cards next year (either from AMD or Nvidia), what makes most sense in terms of value?

I would be oriented towards an RTX 2060, but I see the RTX 2070 gives about 10-15% of extra performance.
While the difference is likely to be hard to see in the real world today, especially on a 1080p display, I'm also concerned about future proofing my machine.

The RTX 2070 Super is rather expensive, so I wouldn't go for it unless it can give me one or two more years of use of my laptop.

Do you think the difference between 2060/2070/2070 Super will be negligible in 3-4 years? By the way, I'm not one of those who expect their laptop to stay relevant for several years, and I know it's possible it will fail eventually, so 4 years of being able to play games decently would be fine by me.

Thanks!

RobertoDub

Please, I only need your pick on 2060 vs 2070 vs 2070 Super :giggle:

Nobody knows what will be the best choice in a few years time, but what is your preference? ...
Would you spend more now and skip the 3000 series altogether?
Or would you try to spend as little as possible, with a view to upgrading if an opportunity arises?

Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Please, I only need your pick on 2060 vs 2070 vs 2070 Super :giggle:

Nobody knows what will be the best choice in a few years time, but what is your preference? ...
Would you spend more now and skip the 3000 series altogether?
Or would you try to spend as little as possible, with a view to upgrading if an opportunity arises?

Thanks.
With a laptop, you can’t upgrade it, so it’s best to get the most powerful gpu you can afford.

RobertoDub

With a laptop, you can’t upgrade it, so it’s best to get the most powerful gpu you can afford.
Unfortunately it's not so straightforward, I'm afraid.

I might want to upgrade in two years, for example, so I don't want to waste money now just to get a minimal advantage.

I might then give my laptop to someone in my household and buy a new one for me, etc.

And, more importantly, I need to have a valid justification, for myself but mainly for my better half (especially her :LOL: ) who never fails to dig my past mistakes, over and over.
I can picture myself fighting off the surely-there-will-be-this-argument much better if being told "You spent X money on a stupid computer back then" rather than "You spent X + 300 euro money on a stupid computer back then" :cool:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately it's not so straightforward, I'm afraid.

I might want to upgrade in two years, for example, so I don't want to waste money now just to get a minimal advantage.

I might then give my laptop to someone in my household and buy a new one for me, etc.

And, more importantly, I need to have a valid justification, for myself but mainly for my better half (especially her :LOL: ) who never fails to dig my past mistakes, over and over.
I can picture myself fighting off the surely-there-will-be-this-argument much better if being told "You spent X money on a stupid computer back then" rather than "You spent X + 300 euro money on a stupid computer back then" :cool:
I wouldn't buy a 2000 series laptop with new 3000 series and AMD Radeon laptops set to hit just around the corner, this is the very end of life of these laptops, imho you'd be crazy to buy now.

But if I was, doesn't matter if you're giving it away after or upgrading to another laptop in the future, you want the best GPU you can afford.