What is a good GPU for 49 inch ultrawide gaming monitor?

reda222

I recently bought the Samsung 49 inch 1440p ultrawide monitor. I currently have a GeForce 1060 6GB GPU. I can run most games at high settings above 60+ FPS at normal resolution 2560 x 1440. However, when I make it full screen on the ultra wide monitor (5120x1440) , the FPS drops significantly to 30-40 FPS, in some games even in lowest settings.

So I am looking to buy a new GPU. I really want this to be as cheap as possible. But I want to be able to run 60+ FPS smoothly in full-screen. Is there an option of running dual GPU's? Or is it better for me to just get completly new GPU? What second or new GPU should I get that is a reasonable price?

Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME Z270-P: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Monitor: Samsung C49RG90 49-inch Super Ultrawide Curved Gaming Dual WQHD 1440p Monitor
CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: GeForce 1060 6GB
RAM: 32 GB

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Samsung C49RG90 49-inch Super Ultrawide Curved Gaming Dual WQHD 1440p Monitor
That's one hell of a monitor! Wow!

120Hz - 5120x1440 - No adaptive sync

Really to power that with some headroom, I'd be looking at an RTX2070 Super, or even a Sapphire 5700XT Pulse which is supposed to be only a few percent slower than the RTX2070 Super for about £100 cheaper (around £380 vs £480).

One thing to take into consideration is that for future proofing, NVidia cards will work with both GSync and Freesync monitors (should you upgrade further down the line), whereas AMD cards will only work with Freesync.
The Sapphire has literally just hit the markets but stocks seem good atm.

Last edited:

reda222

That's one hell of a monitor! Wow!

120Hz - 5120x1440 - No adaptive sync

Really to power that with some headroom, I'd be looking at an RTX2070 Super, or even a Sapphire 5700XT Pulse which is supposed to be only a few percent slower than the RTX2070 Super for about £100 cheaper (around £380 vs £480).

One thing to take into consideration is that for future proofing, AMD cards will work with both GSync and Freesync monitors (should you upgrade further down the line), whereas nVidia cards will only work with Gsync.
The Sapphire has literally just hit the markets but stocks seem good atm.

Well I bought it mainly for productivity. Before I had a 2 normal monitor setup, I got to the stage where I needed 3, so it was either getting a third monitor, or get an ultra wide. I decided to go for the ultra wide, and it is working out perfectly as it is doing great for me!

I knew I wanted to game on it, but I was ok with gaming at normal resolution on it which my 1060 handles fine. However, I recently started playing some games full-screen even in really low FPS, and it was an amazing experience. So now I want to play all games full-screen lol, hence why I am looking for a new GPU.

I am definitively not getting a monitor upgrade anytime soon. This monitor will be with me for a very very long time. I really like the idea of the RTX2070 Super. It's a reasonable price as well. I thought I had to get a crazy expensive GPU.

Is there no way I can use my current 1060 with another GPU?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well I bought it mainly for productivity. Before I had a 2 normal monitor setup, I got to the stage where I needed 3, so it was either getting a third monitor, or get an ultra wide. I decided to go for the ultra wide, and it is working out perfectly as it is doing great for me!

I knew I wanted to game on it, but I was ok with gaming at normal resolution on it which my 1060 handles fine. However, I recently started playing some games full-screen even in really low FPS, and it was an amazing experience. So now I want to play all games full-screen lol, hence why I am looking for a new GPU.

I am definitively not getting a monitor upgrade anytime soon. This monitor will be with me for a very very long time. I really like the idea of the RTX2070 Super. It's a reasonable price as well. I thought I had to get a crazy expensive GPU.

SLI isn't really that great of an experience anymore (pairing 2 cards), there isn't really much support for it, and a lot of drawbacks generally like stuttering etc.

A single card is really the best idea these days.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
One thing to take into consideration is that for future proofing, AMD cards will work with both GSync and Freesync monitors (should you upgrade further down the line), whereas nVidia cards will only work with Gsync.

Is it not the opposite? NVidia cards are currently working with both GSync and Freesync. I thought it was GSync that was proprietary to Nvidia.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is it not the opposite? NVidia cards are currently working with both GSync and Freesync. I thought it was GSync that was proprietary to Nvidia.
Thanks for correcting, yes, that’s more like it. Will edit my original post in case it causes confusion.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
FWIW I don't think it's worth the £100 premium in this case anyway, especially with the current monitor considered. I would probably pocket the £100 and go with the 5700XT.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The 1060 doesn't support SLI anyway. It doesn't have the connectors.

A tiny handful of games may support multi GPU via DX12, such that you could in principle pair the 1060 with another 1060 (or in 1 case another GPU altogether!) but unless all you play is Ashes it's not going to be worth it.

Samsung C49RG90 49-inch Super Ultrawide Curved Gaming Dual WQHD 1440p Monitor
If that;'s this monitor (correct me if wrong) https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1421/C49RG90 then it has Freesync 2.

The monitor is pretty close to 4k in terms of what you'll need to drive it. Though I assume you'd be using AA more appropriate to 1440p i.e. more of it than for 4k - so that might eat into some of the headroom.

It's worth giving some thought to specific titles and what settings you intend to game on. Do your all-time favourites heavily favour Nvidia GPUs? And if they do, is that still true of Navi? e.g. FO4 didn't seem to like Vega so much, but seems happier with Navi.

If a 5700 XT is ~£400 (don't buy the ones with single fan coolers!) and a 2070 Super is £500, and price is a priority, the 5700XT sounds like the winner. But be sure you understand the kind of performance you're likely to see at the higher settings before buying anything:
shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-3840-2160.png
the-witcher-3-3840-2160.png

Last edited:

reda222

The 1060 doesn't support SLI anyway. It doesn't have the connectors.

A tiny handful of games may support multi GPU via DX12, such that you could in principle pair the 1060 with another 1060 (or in 1 case another GPU altogether!) but unless all you play is Ashes it's not going to be worth it.

If that;'s this monitor (correct me if wrong) https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1421/C49RG90 then it has Freesync 2.

The monitor is pretty close to 4k in terms of what you'll need to drive it. Though I assume you'd be using AA more appropriate to 1440p i.e. more of it than for 4k - so that might eat into some of the headroom.

It's worth giving some thought to specific titles and what settings you intend to game on. Do your all-time favourites heavily favour Nvidia GPUs? And if they do, is that still true of Navi? e.g. FO4 didn't seem to like Vega so much, but seems happier with Navi.

If a 5700 XT is ~£400 (don't buy the ones with single fan coolers!) and a 2070 Super is £500, and price is a priority, the 5700XT sounds like the winner. But be sure you understand the kind of performance you're likely to see at the higher settings before buying anything:
shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-3840-2160.png
the-witcher-3-3840-2160.png

Thanks for the nice reply. Yes that is the monitor.

I am leaning towards the 5700 right now, but I really don't want to buy a new GPU after a very long time after this, so do you suggest paying the extra £100 for future proof, or to extend the time until I have to get a new GPU? (By getting the 2070 Super that is) Does that logic work here?

I play games mostly in mid to high settings, such as Battlefield, CoD, FarCry.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
By the time the 5700 XT (note, XT is different to the 5700 without the XT) provides a poor gaming experience, the 2070 Super won't be doing much better.

So you'll want to upgrade the GPU at around the same time, whichever you buy, but the 5700 XT saves you £100 towards that.

Assuming that's the price difference between them, that's the argument I'd make.

reda222

By the time the 5700 XT (note, XT is different to the 5700 without the XT) provides a poor gaming experience, the 2070 Super won't be doing much better.

So you'll want to upgrade the GPU at around the same time, whichever you buy, but the 5700 XT saves you £100 towards that.

Assuming that's the price difference between them, that's the argument I'd make.

Hello Oussebon, I hope you are still here. So following our conversation if you want to read it. I have just found an RTX 2080ti used in very good condition for £780, what do you think of getting that instead?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's a personal call.

If it were me, I wouldn't buy an £800 GPU with no warranty or second hand. Even if the seller was related to me and I literally had video footage of thing's history from the factory to landing in my hands. Because even if it's been treated with immaculate care, hardware can die at any point with no obvious warning or way to prevent it.

Some AIB companies (notably EVGA) do provide warranties to 2nd hand owners, albeit from the factory date rather than purchase date. But even then there's no guarantee the original owner didn't do something to invalidate the warranty, knowingly or otherwise, and isn't telling you.

It's a gamble, no two ways about it. And as with any gambling, it's up to you if you want to do it :)

WhoopyBoldBerg

It's a personal call.

If it were me, I wouldn't buy an £800 GPU with no warranty or second hand. Even if the seller was related to me and I literally had video footage of thing's history from the factory to landing in my hands. Because even if it's been treated with immaculate care, hardware can die at any point with no obvious warning or way to prevent it.

Some AIB companies (notably EVGA) do provide warranties to 2nd hand owners, albeit from the factory date rather than purchase date. But even then there's no guarantee the original owner didn't do something to invalidate the warranty, knowingly or otherwise, and isn't telling you.

It's a gamble, no two ways about it. And as with any gambling, it's up to you if you want to do it :)
Thanks for the nice reply. Yes that is the monitor.

I am leaning towards the 5700 right now, but I really don't want to buy a new GPU after a very long time after this, so do you suggest paying the extra £100 for future proof, or to extend the time until I have to get a new GPU? (By getting the 2070 Super that is) Does that logic work here?

I play games mostly in mid to high settings, such as Battlefield, CoD, FarCry.
hiya i know this post is a little old now and am curious to know what you decided to get in the end and how that worked out for you ,i i have just brought the same monitor yesterday (1day Old) i had a asus 34" rog smift curved running 3440Xx1440 and around 100+ FPS, this samsung thing is one big monitor i love it but she takes super powering and i dont mean the 240v that comes out the plug socket :) i have a few year old system now and im running

i7 4960x 6 Core 12 threads on a aus rampage iv Black Edition
32gb dominator platinum 2400mhz ddr3
2 x Nvidia Titan X 12 Gb in SLi
1tb samsung m.2 SSD 2500 read 2500 write

im getting around 70 fps - 100 rendering at 5120x1440 on about mediam high ish with a few things turned down

i would hate to think how much you would have to spend to get this on high - ultra

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
hiya i know this post is a little old now and am curious to know what you decided to get in the end and how that worked out for you ,i i have just brought the same monitor yesterday (1day Old) i had a asus 34" rog smift curved running 3440Xx1440 and around 100+ FPS, this samsung thing is one big monitor i love it but she takes super powering and i dont mean the 240v that comes out the plug socket :) i have a few year old system now and im running

i7 4960x 6 Core 12 threads on a aus rampage iv Black Edition
32gb dominator platinum 2400mhz ddr3
2 x Nvidia Titan X 12 Gb in SLi
1tb samsung m.2 SSD 2500 read 2500 write

im getting around 70 fps - 100 rendering at 5120x1440 on about mediam high ish with a few things turned down

i would hate to think how much you would have to spend to get this on high - ultra

Come on... these are meant to be family-friendly forums.