what is it called when amd cpu boosts up for a couple of seconds ?

leea123

Enthusiast
Hi there, do not think it's an issue, but for a second or two my 5900x will boost up and then return to normal if I am just for example on a desktop with maybe a couple of web pages open. So just on idle then boost right up then back to idle, does not do it constantly just now and again. I think I have read its normal, but can't find a lot of info, just trying to learn, so any info is great. thanks

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah, probably normal. There might be a background process that is hitting the CPU for a period. I would only worry if caused temperature to spike way high too.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi there, do not think it's an issue, but for a second or two my 5900x will boost up and then return to normal if I am just for example on a desktop with maybe a couple of web pages open. So just on idle then boost right up then back to idle, does not do it constantly just now and again. I think I have read its normal, but can't find a lot of info, just trying to learn, so any info is great. thanks
It's just boosting as and when it needs to, that's what boost is, it's just an extra quick burst of power when required.

Remember, just because you don't have any windows open doesn't mean there's not a lot going on in the background. You can see what's using the CPU in task manager. Likely AV or a poorly written script on a web page. If you're using Chrome, it's a huge resource hog, generally best avoided.