What is this noise, HDD?

Vaio

Enthusiast
What on earth is this chirping type sound? hopefully you can hear it in the video, you may need to put your volumes up.
But it's like a HDD sound when it's being used (but it's not) or kinda like a low frequency electric sound.

It's not vibrations from fans or anything as I've checked them

https://streamable.com/5qc8mr

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What on earth is this chirping type sound? hopefully you can hear it in the video, you may need to put your volumes up.
But it's like a HDD sound when it's being used (but it's not) or kinda like a low frequency electric sound.

It's not vibrations from fans or anything as I've checked them

https://streamable.com/5qc8mr

Thanks
Try gaming or stressing th gpu, does that increase the sound?

Vaio

Enthusiast
If the sound you are referring to is what I think it is, it sounds more like a rattling to me...and my guess would be it's one of the fans.

Yeah.. I removed the magnetic dust filter on top of the case and the noise got louder! I am tempted to just disconnect them, or at least one and see if that makes a difference.

Vaio

Enthusiast
In which case it's most likely an HDD. What is your full spec?

Case CORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Memory Card ReaderUSB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingNoctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case FansNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hmm, your browser caches will be on the SSD so it's much less likely to be the HDD.

I've watched your video more closely and you seem to hear several thuds rather than clicks as you swipe the camera past the front fan. Is it possible that the fan blades are catching on something? I'd have the front off and take a look.

Vaio

Enthusiast
So I tried to disable the two top fans in the BIOS but they weren't showing up, only the Corsair LL120 were. So I unplugged them from the MB and the noise has gone.

I guess I can monitor temps when I am gaming to see what I get with 2 exhaust fans turned off, my guess is it'll only effect it by a few degrees Celsius.. but I guess that's worth it so a silent PC lol

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So I tried to disable the two top fans in the BIOS but they weren't showing up, only the Corsair LL120 were. So I unplugged them from the MB and the noise has gone.

I guess I can monitor temps when I am gaming to see what I get with 2 exhaust fans turned off, my guess is it'll only effect it by a few degrees Celsius.. but I guess that's worth it so a silent PC lol
It sounded to me as though there's a plastic sleeve with wires inside, possibly part of the fan, and the fan blades are catching the loose sleeve....?

Vaio

Enthusiast
It sounded to me as though there's a plastic sleeve with wires inside, possibly part of the fan, and the fan blades are catching the loose sleeve....?

Nope, I checked the fans and turned them manually as well and there wasn't any noise. The only thing I can think of is the placement of the top fans in conjunction with the front fans were causing some sort of little wind noise. The stock fans seem very hollow so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the blades.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Nope, I checked the fans and turned them manually as well and there wasn't any noise. The only thing I can think of is the placement of the top fans in conjunction with the front fans were causing some sort of little wind noise. The stock fans seem very hollow so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the blades.
Ah, possibly.

Via Tapatalk