What phone should I upgrade too?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Currently on an iPhone 4s and due an upgrade in February.

My contract is annoying in that it seems out of sync with manufacture releases (seems to always be at the end of the cycle - I know you'll never 'win' with the nature of technology advancements - but I seem to be particularly behind)

I'm quite keen to get a 'latest' phone that's just been released but I'm willing to wait a little longer for new ones.

I would like to avoid iPhone if I can - I've given it a try. I'm quite keen on seeing how Windows Phone fares, but failing that I'll head back to Android.

Suggestions? Any decent phones coming out in the future? Not too keen on 'Phablets'.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well in terms of Windows Phone at the moment you have either the Lumia 1520 which has great specs and a 6" screen, or the 1020 which has not as great specs but an excellent camera if that is something you are interested in (41MP).

Sadly like you said, it is definitely the wrong end of the cycle, I mean the GS5 is supposed to be announced March as will the new HTC phone I guess.

I personally love Vanilla android therefore I really like the Nexus phones, but they generally aren't available on contracts, only through Google Play.

I think the phone I'm most impressed with at the moment is the LG G2, I think thats and awesome phone with some great features. The Moto X also deserves a shout out but I'm pretty sure it's not available in the UK yet, which is a shame because its very close to vanilla Android but has some awesome extra features and performance on it is great

Forgot to add: I have a Lumia 920 and I love it, but it does become boring very quickly, there isn't much customizing you can do. But Nokia have been adding some great features and the 8MP camera on my one still can't be beaten by Apple or Samsung despite being more than a year old now. I've convinced most of my family to get Windows Phone now as well, my sister has Lumia 1020 and parents have got 920 as well

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I love everything about my Lumia 800, apart from (yup, may have banged on about this before...) the fact that the app world seems to treat Windows Mobile like the ginger step-child...with tourettes...and no friends...that lives in the loft...and only eats dead rat :(

Apart from that, the Nokia/Windows phones are really good and should get a better deal in the world than Android/Apple loves seem to allow :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I love everything about my Lumia 800, apart from (yup, may have banged on about this before...) the fact that the app world seems to treat Windows Mobile like the ginger step-child...with tourettes...and no friends...that lives in the loft...and only eats dead rat :(

Apart from that, the Nokia/Windows phones are really good and should get a better deal in the world than Android/Apple loves seem to allow :)

I have no problems with apps on my WP, there are no apps that I'm missing personally, I have everything I need

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well in terms of Windows Phone at the moment you have either the Lumia 1520 which has great specs and a 6" screen, or the 1020 which has not as great specs but an excellent camera if that is something you are interested in (41MP).

Sadly like you said, it is definitely the wrong end of the cycle, I mean the GS5 is supposed to be announced March as will the new HTC phone I guess.

I personally love Vanilla android therefore I really like the Nexus phones, but they generally aren't available on contracts, only through Google Play.

I think the phone I'm most impressed with at the moment is the LG G2, I think thats and awesome phone with some great features. The Moto X also deserves a shout out but I'm pretty sure it's not available in the UK yet, which is a shame because its very close to vanilla Android but has some awesome extra features and performance on it is great

Forgot to add: I have a Lumia 920 and I love it, but it does become boring very quickly, there isn't much customizing you can do. But Nokia have been adding some great features and the 8MP camera on my one still can't be beaten by Apple or Samsung despite being more than a year old now. I've convinced most of my family to get Windows Phone now as well, my sister has Lumia 1020 and parents have got 920 as well

Thanks Wozza. Yeah I do like the lok of the 1020 - I think a decent camera would be important to me give the amount of photography/film I do. I'm very tempted by the idea of 4k phones now. The 1020 would have been my choice as few months back, but not now. It's impossible to predict what's going to come out next really. LG might be a good shout - I'd overlooked them tbh.

Yeah Windows Apps need some work - but then so did Android when it first started. I reckon MS know about this issue and are probably aware they need to work hard to fix it if they're going to be successful.

I have no problems with apps on my WP, there are no apps that I'm missing personally, I have everything I need

I have a feeling it may be a different story for myself, as I'll be coming from an iPhone....

D1craig

Enthusiast
i really cant see me liking the mobile phone industry in a phew years... all the progress was in the past 10-20 years has just been reset and phones seem to be increasing in size. saying that the only modern top end phone i like atm is the iPhone (i have a 5s). i am in no way an apple fan boy in fact i hate apple products and even put off getting an iPod for like 10 years because i hated apple. but it seemed like i was the only person that didnt have one so i had to get one. i got a 3gs when it was on offer for £15 a month (my first contract phone) but now im on a £43 a month contract with the 5S lmao.

iPhone 5 is my choice atm, although i do like the looks of the galaxy (not sure which one it is) S3/4/5 mini (more mobile imo). alot more apps is alos a bonus.

bigger does not mean better for mobile phones imo. but the galaxys seem good to me, lots of freinds have them and they would recommend them.

Have a look at the Z1 compact. iPhone 5 kind of size, but properly high end spec. Snapdragon 800, 20Mp camera, 6GB internal+sd slot, reviews say very good battery life. It's also waterproof to 1.5m.
Other minis are cut down basic versions, and Samsung in particular seem to be dropping the ball on quality recently.

Reider

I have the Lumia 1520 and I love it. Like someone mentioned the camera isn't as good as other models but the graphics are the best on any phone I've had or even seen. If you are prepared to wait a couple of months before you upgrade then I'd do that and wait until the new designs are released. If not a windows phone gets my vote.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have the Lumia 1520 and I love it. Like someone mentioned the camera isn't as good as other models but the graphics are the best on any phone I've had or even seen. If you are prepared to wait a couple of months before you upgrade then I'd do that and wait until the new designs are released. If not a windows phone gets my vote.

So jealous, the camera is still so much better than my 920 and one of the best around. I am hoping Nokia release something Q3/Q4 this year that I can get when my contract is up. Hopefully 1030 with 5" screen, better camera and 1080p :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I wasn't prepared to wait and got an iPhone 5s. I KNOW. SO WEAK OF ME.

BUT.

I have a cunning plan. I went with o2 so now I can upgrade my phone whenever I like as the tarriff and phone plan are two separate things :)

But you have to pay off the phone plan.... but that's not so bad if I have the money and I want to break my annoying 'no phones released' cycle...

mishra

Rising Star
Be aware! here is a catch with that new tariff!
I renewed my contract but gave new iPhone to my girlfriend. As we travel quite a lot back to Poland I wanted to have it unlocked. So I can fit different SIM card. O2 website clearly states that for contract customers unlock is for FREE (for iPhones). Well that is not entirely the case...
To get the phone fully unlocked I need to pay it off first! So they gave me an option to pay £300 odd quid straight away - and then they will unlock it for FREE!!! I blown the fuse and told the lady what I think of their service! Remember I was promised in the shop I will be able to get it unlocked. After long battle I got to the point where they would take my phone back and cancel the contract but in the end I backed off and kept it as is. It's a rip off. If you don't plan to use different SIMs it's not a biggie, but if you do.. stay away from that new Refresh tariff or whatever it's called!