What "pretty basic" GPU?

stevegardner630

Hi,

I'm one of the freaks on here who are not going to use the new PC for Gaming or any remotely serious video editing.

However, I want a powerful very fast, very quiet, totally customised PC, have a hefty budget and PCS have great kit, customer service and reputation. Unusually, I am very unlikely to need a powerful GPU. My only specific need is that it talks to a 4K monitor for high speed sports recordings, films etc with high refresh rate on new monitor's 75Hz refresh rate.

I've been looking at kit as basic as

4Gb Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super HDMI or

6Gb NVidia Geforce GTX1660 Super HDMI

Or are any of the AMD Radeon GPUs as good or better and more bang for your buck??

Having committed £2000+ already on other components would one of these 2 or others cover the need for 4K (watching video records/films/DVD/streaming typically)? Ideally, I hope the 4Gb one will do!

Sorry this is a bit basic for those real enthusiasts who will possibly be spending £1000-£2000 on the GPU alone, rather than c.£150 max that I want to try and stick to..

Many thanks for your input

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I'm one of the freaks on here who are not going to use the new PC for Gaming or any remotely serious video editing.

However, I want a powerful very fast, very quiet, totally customised PC, have a hefty budget and PCS have great kit, customer service and reputation. Unusually, I am very unlikely to need a powerful GPU. My only specific need is that it talks to a 4K monitor for high speed sports recordings, films etc with high refresh rate on new monitor's 75Hz refresh rate.

I've been looking at kit as basic as

4Gb Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super HDMI or

6Gb NVidia Geforce GTX1660 Super HDMI

Or are any of the AMD Radeon GPUs as good or better and more bang for your buck??

Having committed £2000+ already on other components would one of these 2 or others cover the need for 4K (watching video records/films/DVD/streaming typically)? Ideally, I hope the 4Gb one will do!

Sorry this is a bit basic for those real enthusiasts who will possibly be spending £1000-£2000 on the GPU alone, rather than c.£150 max that I want to try and stick to..

Many thanks for your input
We can't advise on individual components as it's impossible to do so as they all pair with other components. If you post your full prospective build, what you're using it for and what your maximum budget is then we can help.

stevegardner630

Here we go:

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
1st Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Surge Protection
6 Socket 2m Surge Protector
Cable Management
3 x PCS 1.5M Zip Cable Tidy - Professional Cable Management
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)
Delivery
TIMED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI (BEFORE 2PM)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 15 to 18 working days
Price: £2,616.00 including VAT and Delivery

For most people here this will be a very odd allocation of budget so just for a bit of background to explain some of the other choices made:

Some of you who saw this in transition, questioned the amount and significant cost of the SSDs but there are legitimate reasons for me going for these. Likewise the 32Gb RAM is because RAM is relatively speaking inexpensive. I have had 16Gb for years and it seems to be fully utilised at times. The motherboard is related to the need to have 2 PCI Gen 4 M.2 SSDs sockets and the 9800x is pitched at a good price point for me and is very little more than the 3700x and its always nice to have a bit more grunt!

The lower spec'd power supply is less than I wanted as the Corsair RMx 750 or 850 as suggested here were both out of stock (thanks for the answer to my question about Corsair product availability elsewhere on the Forum). I misread the cooler spec availability so thiis will change to the HX100i

The above currently includes:

4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI as the requirements seem to be pretty basic - at present at least.

Is this a good "basic" GPU for the uses mentioned - price definitely <£150 but just possibly <£200 - or are there others anyone would recommend instead. .

Many thanks for your help especially those of you who have helped with other questions along the way.

Steve

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What do you mean by “high speed sports recordings”?

To output 4k you don’t need anything special, a basic GT1030 would be ample. Films don’t output more than 24fps.

stevegardner630

Sounds like that's sorted. Basically, handling output from streamed HD TV services - eg Sky or Netflix. High speed sports was a confusing way of describing fast-action sports in 4K such as F1. Thanks for you input again. You've been very helpful all along.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sounds like that's sorted. Basically, handling output from streamed HD TV services - eg Sky or Netflix. High speed sports was a confusing way of describing fast-action sports in 4K such as F1. Thanks for you input again. You've been very helpful all along.
Yeah, GT1030 would be ample then.