What should I be looking at, to Pre-Order?

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I had a basic idea of what I was after with the outgoing gen'. Ryzen 7 (air cooled), RTX 3070, 2x 8G DDR4 (with an eye on another 2 matching sticks in the future), etc. Mr Wilson suggested a great system for me, but along with many others, advised me to wait for this new gen.
I'll also want a new monitor, I'm thinking a Gigabyte M34WQ-EK fits the bill for me.
I've promised my present complete system to my daughters family. I think my grandson is getting it :)

Well, pre-order time is now in the very near future. Obviously, what will be available to pre-order won't be entirely predictable. So I'm sort of wondering, what should I be looking at? The new graphics cards are predicted to be early next year, so I'm going to want something in the interim. A 3070 will still be a bit pricey just as a stand-in I think, so maybe a 2060 just to keep me going?
The game which prompted this upgrade, Days Gone, recommends a 1060, but people with 3070s are complaining the games graphics demands can still cause the game to crash. Possibly due to them turning up their settings too high. But that still makes me think I should get a higher spec card than a 1060/1080.

Ryzen 7900x? By the sound of it, I'm going to want liquid cooling. 1000W PSU? X670 mobo. 2 x 8 Gig DDR5? Or a good this gen mobo with DDR4, like the ASUS® ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming. I'm just playing with parts here. There is no set plan.
Budget is around £1500+ to £2k, the closer to 1500 the better. Plus the monitor, so aiming at £2.5k is basically my limit.

What are your thoughts? A new gen equivalent to Mr Wilsons advised system is what I'm after.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
From what I've heard all the 7000 series cpu's come with integrated graphics so you may not have to worry about a 2060 as an interim GPU, as for the Gigabyte M34WQ-EK it's a great monitor 😁

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
2060 is a solid GPU but you will be pushing it's limits pretty hard at 1440p which that monitor is, hard to give an idea of build right now because we don't have the benchmarks just yet and we also don't know costs. We'll be able to give accurate information on the 15th no doubt and should know how the new CPU's perform in consumer terms in the next couple of days

If people are having problems with the game crashing I doubt it's the GPU, honestly it rarely is it's often either unoptimized game engine or it's some other computer configuration/software causing problems. Unfortunately you have to take peoples experiences with a pinch of salt unless you can trust they actually know what they are doing/talking about

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
2060 is a solid GPU but you will be pushing it's limits pretty hard at 1440p which that monitor is, hard to give an idea of build right now because we don't have the benchmarks just yet and we also don't know costs. We'll be able to give accurate information on the 15th no doubt and should know how the new CPU's perform in consumer terms in the next couple of days.
Bugger :( . To be honest, this is the reply I expected. I was just hoping 😬
Thanks for the reply though. I'll just have to be patient a bit longer :(
I know its a 1440p monitor, I'm just looking for a cheap(ish) option so I can off load this system, and have the new one up and running as soon as possible. It's been a couple of months since I decided to upgrade. I'm now at the stage when my money has burnt through my pocket and has started on my, erm, bottom 😂

If people are having problems with the game crashing I doubt it's the GPU, honestly it rarely is it's often either unoptimized game engine or it's some other computer configuration/software causing problems. Unfortunately you have to take peoples experiences with a pinch of salt unless you can trust they actually know what they are doing/talking about.
I had kind of reached that conclusion myself, but... I've been chatting on the Steam discussion page for the game.
A lot of people reporting 'bugs' and 'glitches' which are actually caused by themselves trying to short-cut the story line. Or they've set their graphics so high, something can't keep up.
I've been playing it on a 'generation too old' computer, GTX 750 ti. I've left the settings at what nvidia experience set them to, essentially "everything off". It does stutter a bit and freeze momentarily, occasionally, and rocks fill in visibly when you have your hero running. But I rather expected that kind of thing anyway. They don't make the game unplayable, but they do detract from it. I've enjoyed playing it enough to write a review. But if my 'much too old card' can just about manage, what on earth are they doing to cause it to crash??
It must be a pretty well optimised game engine, or my card wouldn't manage at all, I think. Going by information from this forum 🙂

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
From what I've heard all the 7000 series cpu's come with integrated graphics so you may not have to worry about a 2060 as an interim GPU, as for the Gigabyte M34WQ-EK it's a great monitor 😁
The integrated graphics is very basic though, I wouldn't expect to do any gaming on it. Consider more useful for troubleshooting build if GPU is not working.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Trust me your patience will pay off, it's only a few more weeks and you've waited this long already
Yes mate, I know. But I want it now.

You influenced my decision on that monitor 😁
Graphics, I'm always rather sceptical on 'on-board graphics' claims. From 386 cpu/ 486 gpu days.
That's why I was wondering about an interim graphics card. But I'll have to bide my time and carry on waiting, nothing else for it now 😇

Last edited:

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
The integrated graphics is very basic though, I wouldn't expect to do any gaming on it. Consider more useful for troubleshooting build if GPU is not working.

Aha, this is rather what I anticipated on that front 🙂
Ryzen Gen 4 is DDR5 only, and different chipset so current motherboards are not compatible.
Oh well, I'll write that consideration off the board then.
I thought the Ryzen Gen 4 video made mention of it, I must have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Was it you who posted the video link up in 'Incoming'? Or a repost and comment? (Sorry, I'm getting on a bit you know. My memory isn't as good as it should be 😄 )

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Maybe the other option would be to pick up a pre used 2070 super, that's what I've got in the Berserker

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Maybe the other option would be to pick up a pre used 2070 super, that's what I've got in the Berserker
That'll be what I meant when I said a 2060 :rolleyes: < is at me
A quick look on fleabay, that looks quite comfortably do-able 🙂

Having a stroke seems to have affected my short term memory, which wasn't that great anyway. Before the stroke I'd forget things, but if 'it' got mentioned again, I'd know what 'it' was and that I'd forgotten. Now I forget things and it's totally gone. If 'it' gets mentioned again, I've got nothing there at all. Rather annoying to be honest, but at least I know nothing about it 😁 :rolleyes:

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I've been reading that the new mobos and CPUs are probably not going to be available for preorder till the 27th??

But I've been soooo patient, waiting for today.
I've got to wait another 9 days ??? 😭

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've been reading that the new mobos and CPUs are probably not going to be available for preorder till the 27th??

But I've been soooo patient, waiting for today.
I've got to wait another 9 days ??? 😭
27th is the release day, so that's when they're actually in stock worldwide.