What temperature

beg

Bronze Level Poster
Too high..
90 degrees or higher might cause damage to the cpu. Anything below should be fine.
If you are on a desktop computer and you have a cpu temprature of 80 or higher, you might want to invest a better cooling solution.

http://ark.intel.com/sv/products/71459/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz
This cpu runs up to 105 degrees, this is for laptops however, but it's to give you an idea.

You should also note that most computers have overheat protection.

If you are asking about overclocking then ignore all I said. I have never overclocked and do not know anything about it.

Last edited:

ravi555

while gaming my laptop cpu can go upto 90 degrees and it'll keep running (once it hits around 105 it shuts down). Ideally for non intensive activities i find that around 50 degrees is acceptable and while under more stress (gaming) it'll go upto 65-85 degrees most of the time. Don't be too concerned if these temperatures are reached.

If your doing menial tasks (Such as replying to emails, writing letters, browsing the web) your CPU shouldnt go above roughly 60, however if your putting stress on your CPU (Such as gaming, modelling) your CPU should still stay at a stable <90. If it does go above 90, I suggest getting a better cooling system, and if its going high enough to shut down then I would look in to a water cooler or an additional fan.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
If your doing menial tasks (Such as replying to emails, writing letters, browsing the web) your CPU shouldnt go above roughly 60, however if your putting stress on your CPU (Such as gaming, modelling) your CPU should still stay at a stable <90. If it does go above 90, I suggest getting a better cooling system, and if its going high enough to shut down then I would look in to a water cooler or an additional fan.

It shouldn't really go anywhere near 60 while browsing the web, etc. Although it does depend on whether we're talking about laptop/desktop.

I haven't monitored my CPU or Mobo temps for a month or so but last I checked they ran at 25-30 degrees while doing simple tasks and went up to about 50 degrees while gaming. My gpu goes as high as 80 degrees when putting it under stress (was playing Crysis 2 last night with everything maxed and as beautiful as it looked, the temps were scary).

I really wouldn't worry about your temps though, there was a similar thread the other day of someone who was exiting their game every hour because their CPU was going up to 39 degrees and they felt the need to let it cool down (even though 39 degrees is very average). To be honest as long as you have good airflow and your case isn't packed full of hardware your temps will normally manage themselves and the computer will normally stop itself before anything blows up. Obviously if you plan to overclock that's a completely different question.