What to do about monitors// Brain beginning to hurt

LiamCM

I planning on selling my 1920x1080p monitor (which I could only play on medium most likely at that res with the new card I'm getting for my budget build) and replacing her with 2 1440x900 widescreen 19" ones (high-max on nearly all modern games with that res and my new card). I've never set up duel monitors before is there anything I need to consider (obviously I'll only be using one for gaming, the other for background tasks, social networking, walkthroughs etc nothing at all demanding), will it all work with my build, do I need any special cables (do I need VGA or DVI-D etc) or anything to bear in mind when buying the new screens (sorry to sound n00bish)?

CIT Vantage Black Case
Quiet Xigmatek 400W PCI-E
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core (AM3, 3.40GHz, 8MB Cache)
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M/USB3, 4xDIMM, Max. 16GB, M-ATX ( USB 3.0 )
Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3
Graphics Card ATI HD6770 1GB
Primary Hard Drive 500GB SATA II

*Feel free to suggest a better idea all together for what I should do monitor wise if you have one btw*

Last edited:

steaky360

If I'm right your card has a DVi output, a HDMI and a Display port which should mean you can connect up to 3 monitors to it (although I'm not certain about that) but you would need to use either a DVi and HDMI leads to your monitors or converters of some kind.

What monitor are you getting? It obviously depends on what inputs the monitor has to determine what sort of cables you will require.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
An alternative you might want to consider would be keeping the old monitor, only buying one new monitor and putting the extra money towards a better GPU?

LiamCM

Thanks guys, after some thought I decided I'm gonna stick with the 1920x1080p, but also grab a cheap 19inch and switch between them both depending on what game I'm playing and how demanding it is, I'll probably max the heavy stuff on the 19inch then for mid-range gaming use the big one. Yeah the card does have three outputs so I'll just make sure to grab a new monitor with either a VGA or DVI as my current one can use either as it came with both. How does that sound lads?