what type of 3080 do u normally get in your build with PCS

i just ordered a PC today could be a while as ive went for a 5950x and 3080 just wandering though what type of 3080 do people normally get with their build? really would rather add an extra £100 or so for a good one rather than the likes of Zotac or someting

kozuki

Enthusiast
You get anything that's available, most likely a Palit, Zotac or a Gigabyte. If you really want a premium 3080, get an Asus ROG strix card. Also it's always a good idea to share your full build here to check for any issues or optimization you could get

Rakk

The Awesome
Normally PCS use Palit or Zotac for their NVidia cards (I know I've certainly had no problems with Palits over the years), but neither is guaranteed. And to be honest it'll be whatever they can get their hands on at the mo

Normally PCS use Palit or Zotac for their NVidia cards (I know I've certainly had no problems with Palits over the years), but neither is guaranteed. And to be honest it'll be whatever they can get their hands on at the mo
I have: Corsair Crystal series 680X RGB gaming case
Ryzen 5950X
ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
32GB Corsair vengeance 3600MHz
Corsair 850W RMx series gold psu
Corsair H115i RGB platinum hydro series cooler

I have: Corsair Crystal series 680X RGB gaming case
Ryzen 5950X
ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HER
As above, the only way to guarantee a specific card is to pay the extra for the Rog Strix 3080. Personally, given how new the cards are and ASUS's reputation, I'd pay the extra for a Strix card.
As above, the only way to guarantee a specific card is to pay the extra for the Rog Strix 3080. Personally, given how new the cards are and ASUS's reputation, I'd pay the extra for a Strix card.

There is no option on the site to choose a particular 3080 though

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There is no option on the site to choose a particular 3080 though
See the Terms & Conditions...
7.3 If you order a dedicated graphics card and the AIB (add-in-board) manufacturer name is not specified in the product description or on the final invoice, then you will receive a graphics card that meets the specification of the model/version stated. If the graphics card is exchanged under the warranty, then we will supply a graphics card that meets or exceeds the specification of the model/version stated. This model may be from a different AIB manufacturer and as a result the actual performance may be slightly higher or lower than the original model.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
When I ordered, I didn't realise 'Nvidia' in the description simply meant 'any manufacturer', and I initially thought I was buying an Nvidia card from Nvidia (as these would be the only ones available initially) and not from an AIB manuf, and understood the Strix was from Asus but premium-priced for some unknown premium features.

However, I now realise the Nvidia option is just to differentiate between Nvidia & AMD GPUs (and the Nvidia GPU section now specifically states "Not Founder's Edition")...which won't be sold any more, so it's not going to be that, and I'll be happy just to get one before deciding to switch/cancel.

Maybe the configurator simply needs to remove the superfluous Nvidia/AMD from each line and leave it at the sub-heading level? That way, if a brand/manuf is not mentioned in the description there can be no expectation of a specific card.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
To be fair, it is covered in the T&Cs (as highlighted above)....it's up to individuals to read them (I will admit I didn't read them either but then, when I ordered my system in January with a "2060 Super", I had no expectations beyond it would be a 2060 Super).
But that clause adds to the confusion, because 'Nvidia' is stated in the description, and they are both an AIB manuf and supplier to other AIB manufacturers.

As I said, I initially thought the reference to Nvidia meant it was Nvidia FE card.

I'm not sure anyone buying their first gaming PC would necessarily know there was a difference in the listings between an Nvidia card made by Nvidia and sold by Nvidia to the public and an Nvidia partner card...if they're both simply listed as Nvidia.

BTW, don't take this as a moan as I'm happy with whatever I end up with - just trying to point out (after spending the last 4 weeks cleaning up an 87 page contract) why specifics are important 👍

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When I ordered, I didn't realise 'Nvidia' in the description simply meant 'any manufacturer', and I initially thought I was buying an Nvidia card from Nvidia (as these would be the only ones available initially) and not from an AIB manuf, and understood the Strix was from Asus but premium-priced for some unknown premium features.

However, I now realise the Nvidia option is just to differentiate between Nvidia & AMD GPUs (and the Nvidia GPU section now specifically states "Not Founder's Edition")...which won't be sold any more, so it's not going to be that, and I'll be happy just to get one before deciding to switch/cancel.

Maybe the configurator simply needs to remove the superfluous Nvidia/AMD from each line and leave it at the sub-heading level? That way, if a brand/manuf is not mentioned in the description there can be no expectation of a specific card.
I would suggest that the advice to 'read the small print' is always wise. :)

Kjaye

Interesting thread, I was wondering this too. Does it make much real-world difference to pay for a better third party card, as compared to putting that extra cash towards a better motherboard or processor, or even a cheaper third party version of a higher-up card?

kozuki

Enthusiast
I agree with Nurse, if you're just looking for simple gaming experience and nothing too serious, any card will do just fine, they're powerful as it is, the only difference you might feel is noise levels and maybe slight temperature differences, but if you know what you're doing and you know it needs some extra oomph, you get that oomph from all components, not just the premium GPU

kozuki

Enthusiast
Noise and temperature aren't always much different with the "budget" cards.....a few months ago, I was running my Pallit 2060 Super at 95% capacity for 6-8 hours at a time and temperatures were fine (as it is housed in a case with good airflow)...admittedly it wasn't quiet (as expected running at 95%) but it wasn't deafening either.
Yeah, by slightly I meant a few celsius difference, nothing extreme, that's why it won't make any difference to anyone who's just going for a simple gaming setup. And the noise is just different fans on different branded cards, this is a straight hit on the strix card as it already has reputation for having premium fans that both keep it under temperature check and are super quiet

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just seen a TUF Gaming 3080 pop up on CurrysPCWorld for £720, but couldn't have it because it was not available for delivery and had to be picked up at a local store...and none of my closest 36 stores had it :mad:

...and now it's gone :cry: