What's the best 4K budget option for a RTX 3080 at close viewing distance?

mike_d99

Bronze Level Poster
Hey all,

I have a RTX 3080 and I'm looking for a monitor to do it as much justice as possible on my limited budget. Currently I have an LG 23" Monitor which only cost about £140 five years ago, so anything would be an improvement.

Having blown the budget on the computer itself, I'm limited in what I can afford. Say £600, maybe £700 at an absolute push. I've been reading through various threads and I've seen it said that £1000 is entry level for a 3080 but that's just not happening at the moment unfortunately.

It seems sensible to get a 4K monitor with the card I have, if possible. It needs to be good for office work as well as gaming, as I work from home full-time and spend most of my days gazing at spreadsheets.

I'm not sure what size I should be looking at between 27" and 32". I was thinking 32" would be better and I've seen it suggested anything below 32" isn't worthwhile for 4K. However, I'm sitting only 70cm from the monitor and I suspect that's a little too close for 32". I read another thread where someone was saying sitting a similar distance to a 32" screen was giving them a headache, for example. So maybe 27" would be the better option?

I've looked at the RTings website, I've viewed the Hardware Unboxed video that was posted on here and there's some interesting, if slightly pricy, options but I was looking at 32" monitors. Is 27" worthwhile or would I be better getting 32" anyway, or just making do with what I have until I can afford something more expensive further down the line?

mike_d99

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks Steve. I was eyeing this one up, but I'm concerned about the viewing distance. Is it too big for 65-70cm distance?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks Steve. I was eyeing this one up, but I'm concerned about the viewing distance. Is it too big for 65-70cm distance?
I would recommend sitting much further away from your screen mate I don't know why you would ever be that close anyway

mike_d99

Bronze Level Poster
It's just the depth of my desk. If I sat further away I'd need a floating keyboard and mouse :ROFLMAO:

So 32" is out then. So, I guess my question now boils down to is it worth bothering with a 4K monitor at only 27"? Or should I just settle for a 1440p?

Last edited:

MrWilson

Godlike
It's just the depth of my desk. If I sat further away I'd need a floating keyboard and mouse :ROFLMAO:

So 32" is out then. So, I guess my question now boils down to is it worth bothering with a 4K monitor at only 27"? Or should I just settle for a 1440p?
I wouldn’t recommend going for 1440p as it won’t make full use of the 3080. Gigabyte have a 28 inch version of the M32U, the M28U which is also available on Curry’s.