WHEA Uncorrectable Errors causing BSOD

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

My mother's laptop keeps randomly having WHEA Uncorrectable Errors causing BSOD and also the odd total freeze. These do not happen every day, it is one of those that happens several times on one day and then nothing for days before a repeat.

So far I have tried the various options of
  • making sure all drivers are fully updated - no change
  • reinstallation of windows ( not sure if I used the onboard files or if I used a memory stick ) - no change
  • have run Chkdsk and no problems
  • the system runs at stock - never overclocked ( and have checked for overheating which it is not )
  • never touched the BIOS settings since purchase (July 2019)
  • have done a RAM test and all came back past on more than one occasion. (Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool)
The times it does it varies from in Excel, on the Internet, simply signing into Windows, in Outlook etc. One thing we do notice is that despite it being set to auto-reconnect to WiFi after one of these episodes it always has to be done manually. This evening it did it, rebooted and a few minutes later did it again and then on reboot did it straight away when signing in. Rebooted again and working ok for the moment.

Any ideas would be gratefully received. One idea I am considering is a full HDD wipe and then installing Windows 11 as a fresh install and updating her to Windows 11.

Using BlueScreenView it is always these two files "ntoskrnl.exe" and "PSHED.dll"

Have exported the Application and System Logs

Thanks

Laptop details below

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
Have you tried opening a command prompt and typing: SFC /Scannow

to see if that gets any errors / fixes anything?

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Have you tried opening a command prompt and typing: SFC /Scannow

to see if that gets any errors / fixes anything?

Have tried tonight and have no joy.

I did an RDP onto her machine and ran Command Prompt as admin - the system BSOD.

Rebooted and went on the machine physically and the command prompt would no longer work at all! Had to go via run and run it that way.

Started the process off and with 2% it BSOD again.

Bhuna50

Author Level
I think you need to perform a CLEAN install - I know you said you have done something previously, but you said you werent sure if it was onboard files or a memory stick. This will help determine that it is not a software issue.

Get a memory stick, copy Win10 across and start of the process - clear partitions, disks etc and clean install windows 10.

(Instructions on a clean install copied from @Martinr36):

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
I think you need to perform a CLEAN install - I know you said you have done something previously, but you said you werent sure if it was onboard files or a memory stick. This will help determine that it is not a software issue.

Get a memory stick, copy Win10 across and start of the process - clear partitions, disks etc and clean install windows 10.

(Instructions on a clean install copied from @Martinr36):

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

Thanks, yes have been thinking about this more and more and the more I do the more I think I went against my normal routine of a clean install from an external source and instead used the onboard source.

I think I will take this opportunity to upgrade her to Windows 11 at the same time.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Thanks, yes have been thinking about this more and more and the more I do the more I think I went against my normal routine of a clean install from an external source and instead used the onboard source.

I think I will take this opportunity to upgrade her to Windows 11 at the same time.

Yes that is a possibility but if Windows 11 has any initial bugs or anything that hasnt been ironed out yet, you may still not know if its software or hardware causing the issue.

Personally, I would clean install Windows 10, update update update etc and ensure thats running properly, then consider moving to Windows 11 when you know its not a hardware issue.

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Apologies for taking a while to come back to this.

Have this morning done a complete wipe of her laptop and installed Windows 10 from a clean download ISO.

All going fine for a while and then (according ti BlueScreenView)

11:52
12:01
12:08
12:19

BSOD PSHED.DLL with Bug Check Code 124

One thing I did have open a lot was the Control Center and watching temperatures and the CPU was all over the place and overly high for doing next to nothing at times.

I could not find anywhere in BIOS etc to turn off the Intel 630 and force the NVidia 1650 but did it via software in the NVidia control panel. The intel drivers are the latest as of today, but then previously it was doing it with the previous version and the version before that.

CPU Temperatures dropped and stabilised straightaway.

Carried on installing stuff (Photoshop, Lightroom etc) whilst having lunch and the next BSOD was 13:36 same information.

Currently running Prime95 now for 25+ minutes and CPU at 100% and RAM at 95% usage. Nvidia card temp 44 degrees and CPU rock solid on 71 degrees

Any thoughts as to the next steps as Google is not that much help as everyone seems to get these and the responses are fairly generic or already tried.

Really do not want to be replacing the laptop if it can be avoided as the timing is not great.

Many thanks in advance.

-------

Edit: just had another one about 15:03 with the same error etc. One thing I noticed was that changes I made to default app settings a few minutes earlier had not been saved and had reverted back to the previous settings. I stopped the Prime95 ages before this crash and temps were back to 40 degrees.

Before I could even finish this another one when downloading from the internet.

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
When you did the clean install of windows and before you did anything else, did you ensure every single windows update had completed and there were no more updates.

did you then install your graphics drivers or do anything prior to these BSODs?

Or did it BSOD before you did absolutely anything else and had installed anything else?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And also, where are you sourcing control center from?

Have you verified all devices are accounted for in device manager?

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Hi

Thanks, both.

Clean install of Windows 10, ISO download from Microsoft website
  1. Deleted all partitions before installing anything
  2. Installed Windows
  3. Windows installed very old drivers for most things, those that were missing were installed from the downloads section @ PCS
  4. All Windows updates installed until nothing left
  5. All latest Intel drivers installed via Intel Download Assistant
  6. The latest Nvidia drivers installed from Nvidia website
Control Center was installed automatically by Windows 10.
  • I have contacted PCS to see if there are any BIOS updates for this laptop, just waiting on a response.
  • Also, I have removed and reseated the RAM and also the HDD but no difference
  • Have also disabled "fast start" which I saw online as a "try this"
So far since reformating she has had over 30 BSOD, all of which are reporting the same information. It seems to be getting worse.

BSOD started after point "4" and before any none Windows software was installed ( apart from Kaspersky Total Security which we use on many different devices ) but as I say this has been going on long enough now to have gone through several different versions of drivers.

Back when this first started happening I updated all drivers to the latest and then after this format some of the drivers are newer than the ones that were installed last time.

Sadly I am starting to think that there is a hardware failure that is plaguing the system and it is going to need to be replaced. A shame as it has never been stressed since purchase as it was overspeced too begin with. It will be 3 years old in July.

Thanks

Paul

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Windows installed very old drivers for most things, those that were missing were installed from the downloads section @ PCS
Was this after running all windows updates? Windows won't install old version, it will either install them or not. But you should always use the windows updates versions of all but graphics and master driver (unless windows update doesn't contain them in the catalogue but this shouldn't be the case on any clevo chassis).

Plus you shouldn't use any drivers from PCS downloads as they'll be out of date, you need to go direct to clevo.

There's nothing wrong with the laptop or BIOS, this is just a driver misconfiguration error.

We need to start from a clean platform to troubleshoot from.

Firstly, do a clean install again, then run all windows updates fully until none are left, then post back. Don't install ANY other software.

Or I'm getting it entirely wrong and this is in fact a TongFang chassis, could you post the model number from the label on the underside of the chassis?

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Yes all the things I had to install via the PCS files - Windows could not find online or via Windows Update - tried several times and no joy so had to revert to the PCS files.

It is a Clevo looking underneath - NH70RA ( NH70RAQ )

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes all the things I had to install via the PCS files - Windows could not find online or via Windows Update - tried several times and no joy so had to revert to the PCS files.

It is a Clevo looking underneath - NH70RA ( NH70RAQ )
So I'm guessing the wifi wasn't connected? Did you try it with the LAN cable?

Windows update WILL install all (if not certainly most) drivers for that model. If it's not, it's because there's an issue somewhere that need resolving.

But if any are missing, you don't use your PCS drivers, you go direct to www.clevo.com.tw

The drivers you're using are very out of date and won't be compatible.

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, so some interesting results this evening.

1st Reinstall

21:32 Started
Clean all partitions
Install Win 10
Wifi Auto Detected
Install Kaspersky
Install All Windows Updates
Device Manager: Other Devices not found/installed
  • PCI Data Acquisition and Signal Processing Controller
  • PCI Device
  • PCI Simple Communications Controller
  • SM Bus Controller
  • Unknown Device
Installed optional so only thing left was an older Intel Graphics driver
( all now found in Device Manager )
BSOD 22:42:24
BSOD 22:44:25
BSOD 22:53:22
BSOD 22:30:50

2nd Reinstall

23:18 Windows 10 Installed
Install Kaspersky
Install All Windows Updates excluding Optional.
  • PCI Device
  • SM Bus Controller
  • Unknown Device
System fine - installed Chrome & Office
00:15 System fine - installed Intel Driver Assistant - instant BSOD
00:17 Uninstalled Intel Driver Assistant - rebooted and into another BSOD but all fine after removing Intel BERT Reader from Device Manager and rebooted.
00:38 Shutdown as had enough for the night but had fully set up Chrome and Outlook for her to at least use.

Certainly, the temperatures were lower throughout the 2nd Reinstall with the fans virtually silent most of the time once the updates had been done.

I will need to update the Graphics for her to use it as she needs it for Photoshop and Topaz which needs the updated drivers. Have not done that yet both the Intel and NVidia are dating back to 2020 and are the core Windows install.

Any further thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, so some interesting results this evening.

1st Reinstall

21:32 Started
Clean all partitions
Install Win 10
Wifi Auto Detected
Install Kaspersky
Install All Windows Updates
  • PCI Device
  • SM Bus Controller
  • Unknown Device
Installed optional so only thing left was an older Intel Graphics driver
( all now found in Device Manager )
BSOD 22:42:24
BSOD 22:44:25
BSOD 22:53:22
BSOD 22:30:50

2nd Reinstall

23:18 Windows 10 Installed
Install Kaspersky
Install All Windows Updates excluding Optional.
  • PCI Device
  • SM Bus Controller
  • Unknown Device
System fine - installed Chrome & Office
00:15 System fine - installed Intel Driver Assistant - instant BSOD
00:17 Uninstalled Intel Driver Assistant - rebooted and into another BSOD but all fine after removing Intel BERT Reader from Device Manager and rebooted.
00:38 Shutdown as had enough for the night but had fully set up Chrome and Outlook for her to at least use.

Certainly, the temperatures were lower throughout the 2nd Reinstall with the fans virtually silent most of the time once the updates had been done.

I will need to update the Graphics for her to use it as she needs it for Photoshop and Topaz which needs the updated drivers. Have not done that yet both the Intel and NVidia are dating back to 2020 and are the core Windows install.

Any further thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Ok, so I think you're misunderstanding the clean install steps:

Clean install
DONT INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE (ie Kaspersky)
Install ALL windows updates (optional updates are system drivers, system isn't configured without these)
Then install Nvidia driver, lastly control center (from clevo NOT PCS downloads)

Then install Photoshop and test.

DO NOT INSTALL KASPERSKY

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, so I think you're misunderstanding the clean install steps:

Clean install
DONT INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE (ie Kaspersky)
Install ALL windows updates (optional updates are system drivers, system isn't configured without these)
Then install Nvidia driver, lastly control center (from clevo NOT PCS downloads)

Then install Photoshop and test.

DO NOT INSTALL KASPERSKY

Thanks, I do understand what a clean install is. Apologies but I do not feel comfortable having the device on our home network and the internet for that length of time without any firewall or anti-virus product installed - it goes against 25+ years of using computers. Sorry but I do not trust any inbuilt Microsoft AV or Firewall.

This is not the only laptop in the house, my father has exactly the same model, just different Graphics and a larger Hard Drive and he has been fine - never needed a Windows to reinstall and yet has all the latest drivers and the same Kaspersky installed.

The first time I did the reinstall last night I got blue screens within 2 minutes of installing those optional drivers for those five missing components. The second reinstall was to test the theory that if the drivers for those were not installed the laptop would work, and so far it is doing.

The Control Centre gets installed automatically, I have never installed that. Windows does it without any request from me like many other things it auto-detects and installs. Last night it was done as one of the first Windows updates.

So far she has used it for over 2 hours this morning and it is running perfectly.

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Not wanting to tempt fate but still no BSOD and the laptop has been in use / switched on since just after 6am.

Have so far this morning got rid of all those items in Unknown Devices.
  • First did Intel Chipset drivers from Intels website direct not via the Driver Assistant.
  • 15 minutes later installed Intel Management Engine again direct from Intel
  • 15 minutes later installed HID from Clevo
  • 15 minutes later installed latest Intel Graphics direct from Intel
  • 15 minutes later installed latest NVidia drivers
Keeping fingers crossed. Having been using the laptop constantly in between all the above installs so based on previous experience I would have expected several BSOD.

Last edited:

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, everything all reset back up and remained stable for 20 minutes or so after photoshop installed.

BSOD, same error.

Totally weird, laptop has been on for nearly 6 hours which is a record of late.