Where did the 512GB m2 drives go?

qqdc

For an OctaneIII-15, I'd been thinking a 512GB SM961 m2.ssd drive. Now I'm (finally!) ready to order, only 128, 256, 1TB or 2TB are listed! Is this a form error, a discontinued, or a temporary out-of-stock, and if the latter, can you tell me when you'll have them back in.

Also, can you tell me if two 256GB SSD drives (one SATA, one m2) will be a notably higher drain on the battery life, or notably higher heat production, than a single 512G or 1TB m2 drive? (Assume all drives will be Samsung, if that matters.)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
For an official response you may want to contact PCS directly as the forums are not an official channel of support. I would assume a problem with supplies but I am just speculating.

stegor

Bright Spark
Yeah, I noticed that too. As keynes says, probably a supply problem. They aren't available at many stores either.

qqdc

Thanks, good guesses: I got a reply to say they were out of stock, with no date yet for restocking. Plan A is to wait. Plan B: go for a 500MB SATA SSD drive, and in a few months, if/when budget allows, get a 500MB m2 drive as a 2nd drive, and install it myself.

Question: would adding an m2 drive myself invalidate my warranty?

Plan C is to go for the 1TB m2 drive now... but that is £270 more expensive than the 500MB Samsung 850EV (or £120 more than a 1TB 850EV), which I don't think I can stretch to.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It won't invalidate your warranty as long as you don't cause any damage to the laptop. The PM961 1TB would be cheaper.