Which Free Anti-virus?

Neo

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, system being built today, so excited! :)

Quick question. I've opted for no Anti virus software with the intention of using a free version. But what is the general concencus on which Free antivirus is best?

I have tried Avast, AVG (hated it), Bitdefender and Avira. They all seem to have their pro's and cons (or with AVG all cons) - but what is your opinion as I'm struggling to decide. Please advise...

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Personally I quite like Windows Defender.

However, since I put in a Sophos UTM which gives free Endpoint Protection, I've moved more to that: primarily because I get email alerts if my kids or dad, e.g., try to visit a site with malware.

I also tend to pop Malwarebytes Antimalware on too.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've used Avast for the past 5 years or so. I can't see past it. It's fairly discrete, is minimal with the basic free options and just works.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Windows defender along with the windows firewall will protect you from most things, provided you don't do anything dodgy or have a habit of clicking random links received in an email. The software you mention in the OP all do the job, might be personal preference but I like avast.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Anti-virus systems, whilst essential, should not be your only line of defence against malware. They can only protect against malware they can recognise or, using heuristics, identify as virus-like. They are completely useless against zero-day malware. As well as running a good anti-virus engine I'd also recommend a sandbox in which all unknown processes are automatically run. From within a sandbox malware cannot infect the real computer and so you are fully protected not just against zero-day attacks but ransomware too.

Sandboxie is well respected but it's not free, personally I use Comodo Internet Security (CIS) from https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php?track=8234. It is completely free (though you can pay for a fully supported version, the software is the same though). CIS is a full security suite including an excellent firewall, an anti-virus engine, an automatic sandbox, and additional anti-malware tools. It is IMO an excellent product that provides exemplary security if used properly. The default settings that it comes with are less than ideal because there is of course a delicate balance between security and ease of operation. If you take the time to learn how to use CIS (and that really requires some knowledge of how a TCP/IP network works and how Windows uses and allocates system resources) you can configure some of the tightest security you'll come across - and all for free. It is however not a product for the novice, you can shoot yourself in the foot in a million ways if you tinker with CIS's security settings without knowing what you're doing. There is a good set of online help fora though.

Reactions: Neo

Neo

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks ubuysa, I will spend some time reading up about it (Comodo) with a view to trying it out.

Last edited:

Neo

Bronze Level Poster
For info I had installed avast after the initial recommendations; but found the pop ups trying to sell me things every day annoying, so I put Bitdefender Beta on and it sits there quietly not bothering me unless it has something to report.