Which linux flavour for best Steam and games support?

DMNL

Talked myself out of windows whilst discussing my new build in the check my specs forum - asides from Steam I dont need windows the rest is web based and just needs a browser.

So I am up for suggestions regarding which flavour would suit me best with regards to supporting gaming and if possible introducing me to linux too (never used it). I am not worried about it being foreign to windows as although I am not an expert I am a social scientist by training so have done some basic programming and am used to steep learning curves with regards to IT. I fit the profile of the 'IT genius' at work as I can comfortably research an issue and then follow the tut...

If all else fails there is win8 soon and I didnt want to repeat my error of ordering a new pc just months before win7 and thus having to install vista then the win7 update each re install so if the advice is stay away because gaming is pants on linux and your out of your league then bring it on ;p

DMNL

Thanks I had not heard of codeweavers so will check that out now. Apparently Valve are well on the way to releasing a linux client too as they feel win8 is rubbish.

I have made a ubuntu install pen drive so am going to test that out on an old desktop first. If I get on with it I may switch all my pcs over - I can even put it on my galaxy tab :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
They may relelase a linux version of it but it doesnt mean the games are compatible, the steam client worked fine for me, but most games on the other hand, thats a different story

DMNL

They may relelase a linux version of it but it doesnt mean the games are compatible, the steam client worked fine for me, but most games on the other hand, thats a different story

I guessed it would be like the Mac client in that regard - what about non steam games using wine or similar?

pr1s0ner

Both codeweavers and Wine maintain lists of game compatability. Along with bug lists and workarounds

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
If you are going to try it first on an older computer, check first whether the latest release of Ubuntu (12.04) will run OK on it. 12.04 Precise is a lot more demanding on graphics hardware that its predecessors. And join your local Ubuntu mailing list and lurk there for a while. You might also want to take a look at the support that is available for Ubuntu. If you have ever used Windows support, prepare to be totally amazed!!!!

DMNL

The older PC wouldnt have run it I doubt as it didnt even support usb booting we will never know. Works great on the new PC though ;)

Some advice I got from the linux forums was to install the beta windows 8 - it supports steam and some games and so between it and ubuntu I should be OK for a while.

Linux community is indeed better than windows - linux itself however just seems to be windows with itunes pre-installed but then I have only used ubuntu so far ;)

mishra

Rising Star
Don't fool yourself. Linux and games should not be used in one sentence!

Please don't get me wrong. I am a hardcore Linux fan, been using it for many years now... and yeah you can run games on Linux but this is not really the way to go (not yet at least - but then this sentence was valid for last 12+ years). If you want games, as in not just have them but actually play them and enjoy them at the same time - just go with Windows. It's sad but true.

You can run games through Wine or you can do few other tricks to make it to work - but it is art on it's own. Truth is, majority of games will simply not work and the rest can be run but with a lot of swearing, lost of time and generally not really worth it.

I don't want to put you off - give Ubuntu a go if you want, but if you want games - unfortunetly Windows or game console is the only way to go at the moment :(

pr1s0ner

There is a decent selection of games made for linux, BUT if you want to play the newest mainstream stuff then sadly mishra is right :(

pr1s0ner

There is a decent selection of games made for linux, BUT if you want to play the newest mainstream stuff then sadly mishra is right :(

That is the only reason I keep a windows machine

Xoil

If the game uses the DirectX engine windows is needed for microsoft like to keep it as a exclusive technology.

Ricey

Indeed if you want AAA games right now then M$ is the only way unless you fancy tweaking Wine.

However with the recent launch of Steam - out of beta - then Linux is becoming more viable.

As pr1soner says TF2 is already out, as is Serious Sam:BFE, Half-life and CS:Source all native - along with other games that aren't on Steam yet - Legends of Grimrock for example.

I use Linux Mint 14 - ubuntu based but with a more traditional desktop.

I've got it running now on my new Optimus and it seems to run very well - I just need to tweak the optirun/bumblebee settings a little.

I'll do a full thread when i get 10 mins on what i've done.

cheers

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Seems it is already the better option for light gamers in my opinion seeing as TF2 is one of the most popular games on steam and runs on anything, and I think once we see a few major titles on linux, the rest will follow and the linux gaming community will increase big time

rickne

Master Poster
Its great that Valve has taken an open approach to Linux lately but Its still early days. If youre a gamer don't commit or at least install ubuntu with its own partition to see for yourself. Then you can switch back to a Windows OS when you want to play some serious games. Im sure this will change but right now the options are minimal.

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
Its great that Valve has taken an open approach to Linux lately but Its still early days. If youre a gamer don't commit or at least install ubuntu with its own partition to see for yourself. Then you can switch back to a Windows OS when you want to play some serious games. Im sure this will change but right now the options are minimal.
I agree that if you are starting out with Linux then you should certainly go dual boot. However, the great thing about Linux is that you don't have to make a commitment. You can install multiple distros in different partitions, decide for yourself which you like best (and test out how well they work with Steam, if that's your concern), all for no cost. You can even erase Windows, if you like and just reinstall it if you change your mind. Linux really is 100% reward and no risk.

mgsolidus

Enthusiast
As of right now, none of them. Steam for Linux isn't any good right now, native Linux games are great however.

mishra

Rising Star
Oh build-in games, they're amazing! Anyone played NetHack .. that's some serious hours I've burned on this one. Also id Software, Quake 1, is fully fully supported on Linux machines. Including famous ttyquake (ASCII version of quake). I believe all quake's are linux friendly by design. And while we're on ASCII, check some oldschool goodness try this on (DEB based systems):

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install bb
$ bb

...enjoy!