Which monitor of these two?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would personally opt for the 144hz TN.
The TN panels these days tend to be of such high quality that it's difficult to tell the difference except for viewing angles.
What graphics card have you got?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
144Hz is awesome. Although a 1080 would be overkill for just 1080p. I'd look at 1440p or even 4K to really take advantage of the GTX 1080.

I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor and think it's a great combo. Best of both worlds.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
144Hz is awesome. Although a 1080 would be overkill for just 1080p. I'd look at 1440p or even 4K to really take advantage of the GTX 1080.

I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor and think it's a great combo. Best of both worlds.

I would agree entirely. I've got a 1440p 144hz and a 4K 60hz both Gsync. I'd recommend a 1440p as it struggles to push 4K for modern games. A gtx1080 is totally wasted on 1080p

slampro

I would agree entirely. I've got a 1440p 144hz and a 4K 60hz both Gsync. I'd recommend a 1440p as it struggles to push 4K for modern games. A gtx1080 is totally wasted on 1080p

Not really an option as I have a gift card for a shop of about £200 quid so gonna be adding my money to that and they don't have 1440p monitors.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ideally you would want to go for 1440p and 144Hz. Honestly believe this is the best combination right now. The improved resolution over 1080p is great for games as well as just general productivity/web browsing kind of stuff and the higher refresh rate is great for gaming. The 1080 would do a good job at pushing that many frames at that resolution.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There doesn't seem to be such a thing available within the criteria (budget and vendor) sadly. Agreed that 1440p 144hz is a good fit for a GTX 1080.

The OP could buy a monitor from elsewhere and use the voucher for something else they need (e.g. household appliance), but only if they have enough cash to buy an expensive monitor outright after dropping £1500 on the Define, and also need a washing machine.

I was led to believe higher hz would be preferable over higher resolution.
*headscratch* Maybe if you were playing pvp shooters at a competitive level? Otherwise I'd take the resolution (not to mention the fact it's IPS panel) any day of the week for general gaming. AOC's budget IPS monitors are pretty decent imo. 1440p has about 80% more pixels, and those are packed into pretty much the same area since the AOC is 25" and the usual 1080p size is 24".

slampro

There doesn't seem to be such a thing available within the criteria (budget and vendor) sadly. Agreed that 1440p 144hz is a good fit for a GTX 1080.

The OP could buy a monitor from elsewhere and use the voucher for something else they need (e.g. household appliance), but only if they have enough cash to buy an expensive monitor outright after dropping £1500 on the Define, and also need a washing machine.

*headscratch* Maybe if you were playing pvp shooters at a competitive level? Otherwise I'd take the resolution (not to mention the fact it's IPS panel) any day of the week for general gaming. AOC's budget IPS monitors are pretty decent imo. 1440p has about 80% more pixels, and those are packed into pretty much the same area since the AOC is 25" and the usual 1080p size is 24".

Budget wise I have more, ideally would be using my card but I can get other things with that, so taking any and all recommendations.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks Spyder, Ousse, Wozza Just ordered it, hopefully it will be here before my PC.

Very good choice, you won't be disappointed, for the price it's a steal, both specs and design wise. If you ever wanted to multi monitor, it's a great choice because the bezels are tiny.

I saw some owners saying they had to adjust colours and brightness out of the box, but for me, it's spot on. If you feel it's a bit harsh when you get yours, let me know and I'll find the settings that are suggested.

slampro

You guys give awful advice, I was planning on using the dell as my main monitor, and my old monitor as an off one, for the web and such but after receiving the monitor today, it's impossible to look at that horrible little thing, the dell just blows it out of the water.

Terrible jokes aside, the monitor is so big and so clear it is amazing.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Edit: I thought you'd actually got it out of the box, plugged it into a PC to test it out, and decided it was genuinely awful ;) Thanks for clarifying.

What are you comparing it to out of interest? Especially such that a 27" monitor should be little...

Also monitor choices are pretty personal ones to be frank. I once used an extremely popular BenQ model but found it truly awful, the worst screen I've ever looked at before or since, and it gave me a headache. But everyone else who used it thought it was fine...

People can give advice on a monitor with specs that match needs/criteria and those which have broadly positive reviews:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/dell-s2716dg-review
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2716dg.htm
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2716dg/

Spyder's calibration advice might be helpful?

I guess you can't test the g-sync 1440p gaming experience until you get the PC.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You guys give awful advice, I was planning on using the dell as my main monitor, and my old monitor as an off one, for the web and such but after receiving the monitor today, it's impossible to look at that horrible little thing, the dell just blows it out of the water.

Terrible jokes aside, the monitor is so big and so clear it is amazing.

I was quite shocked at how pretty it was for a dell, usually dell design is pretty matte grey plasticky ugliness, but this thing is beautiful!

Btw, there's a setting in the osd (monitor menu) called deep sleep or something. For me it wouldn't recover after going to sleep and I'd have to manually power off and on the monitor to get it to wake again. If you experience that, just turn off deep sleep.

Last edited: