Which monitor?

tpcosgrave

Hi folks,

Have bought a machine from PCS and am awaiting the build.

I decided not to buy the monitor from PCS as I wanted to explore options before committing.

The graphics card is a 12GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
I have whittled it down to two monitors - I am quite taken with the Philips 32E1CA . The Samsung U32 J590 is another one that pops out at me too but I have the same question about both - they have a. maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160 and I can't figure out if that will be the best fit for the card.

Will everything just look horrible (games, media editing, software dev) on a 2160 monitor and should I just go for a 1440 monitor?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi folks,

Have bought a machine from PCS and am awaiting the build.

I decided not to buy the monitor from PCS as I wanted to explore options before committing.

The graphics card is a 12GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
I have whittled it down to two monitors - I am quite taken with the Philips 32E1CA . The Samsung U32 J590 is another one that pops out at me too but I have the same question about both - they have a. maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160 and I can't figure out if that will be the best fit for the card.

Will everything just look horrible (games, media editing, software dev) on a 2160 monitor and should I just go for a 1440 monitor?
You’re in between a rock and a hard place. For gaming the 6700xt isn’t going to do well at 4k, you’d be much better off with 1440p 144hz imho.

For editing though, I’d say 4k is a requirement these days.

If it were me, I’d do a dual monitor setup, one 1440p 144hz for gaming and one 4k for editing.

Appreciate that may be more of an outlay than is available currently but I’d buy a decent 1440p 144hz now and then get a decent colour accurate 4k in the future.

tpcosgrave

You’re in between a rock and a hard place. For gaming the 6700xt isn’t going to do well at 4k, you’d be much better off with 1440p 144hz imho.

For editing though, I’d say 4k is a requirement these days.

If it were me, I’d do a dual monitor setup, one 1440p 144hz for gaming and one 4k for editing.

Appreciate that may be more of an outlay than is available currently but I’d buy a decent 1440p 144hz now and then get a decent colour accurate 4k in the future.
That's a REALLY useful post - I'll be doing more editing and dev than anything else, just gaming the odd time. I think I'll go for the 4K now and consider a second monitor after a period of time.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's a REALLY useful post - I'll be doing more editing and dev than anything else, just gaming the odd time. I think I'll go for the 4K now and consider a second monitor after a period of time.
What's your max budget for the monitor? While you can buy a basic 4k monitor very cheap, they're not really designed for editing or colour accurate work. It's worth getting a proper design monitor if you can push the budget a bit, makes all the difference in every day use.

tpcosgrave

What's your max budget for the monitor? While you can buy a basic 4k monitor very cheap, they're not really designed for editing or colour accurate work. It's worth getting a proper design monitor if you can push the budget a bit, makes all the difference in every day use.
Yeah this is another problem. Budget for a monitor is €500 and I'm trying to get the best possible knowing that really, I need to get one costing quite a bit more.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah this is another problem. Budget for a monitor is €500 and I'm trying to get the best possible knowing that really, I need to get one costing quite a bit more.
That should be doable.

There are some really good entry level Phillips monitors we've suggested, one of which is only a few months old and has gotten rave reviews, let me see if I can find it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I realise this is out of budget, but listing it because it's amazon prime day on Monday and Tuesday next week, and it's very possible there may be some worthwhile reductions in cost, so this is worth keeping an eye on on Amazon to see if it goes down, it's a fantastic monitor:

This one is well worth consideration, it's full IPS which means better colour accuracy and brightness, but also has full HDR10 support which means really popping colours and contrast. It's a design monitor:

This one is a good budget option, and again, may well come down in price on Prime Day:

This is another well worth consideration: