Which network card should I choose?

moheli

Silver Level Poster
Which network card should I choose? Please help!

I'm configuring a 15.6" Defiance II Laptop and the two most expensive network cards available are the following:
Gigabit LAN & Wireless Intel AC-8260 M.2 +BT 4.0, vPRO
Gigabit LAN & Killer 1525-AC M.2 Wireless Gaming 802.11N + Bluetooth 4.0 (£6 more expensive)

Logic tells me that a higher price is a better product. But apparently, according to the description in the 'features' section, Killer's network card can only handle up to 300mbps whilst Intel's can manage up to 867mbps! Now I don't know much about networking but it sounds like the Intel AC-8260 is much faster, so why is it less expensive?

My hunch is that the Killer network card has features more gaming-oriented that are more compatible for me, an intensive gamer and livestreamer, but is it really worth the higher price when it has such a significantly lower mbps speed? Please give me your opinions and tell me all you can about both network cards, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm configuring a 15.6" Defiance II Laptop and the two most expensive network cards available are the following:
Gigabit LAN & Wireless Intel AC-8260 M.2 +BT 4.0, vPRO
Gigabit LAN & Killer 1525-AC M.2 Wireless Gaming 802.11N + Bluetooth 4.0 (£6 more expensive)

Logic tells me that a higher price is a better product. But apparently, according to the description in the 'features' section, Killer's network card can only handle up to 300mbps whilst Intel's can manage up to 867mbps! Now I don't know much about networking but it sounds like the Intel AC-8260 is much faster. So why is it less expensive?

My hunch is that the Killer network card has features more gaming-oriented that are more compatible for me, an intensive gamer and livestreamer, but is it really worth the higher price when it has such a significantly lower mbps speed? Please give me your opinions and tell me all you can about both network cards, I would greatly appreciate it.

The Killer gives the same speeds of 867mbps, think you were looking at the wireless n version of the card - Source below:

http://www.killernetworking.com/products/wireless-ac-1525

The other benefits of the Killer card, you're correct about, it offers better latency, often MUCH better latency and lower pings plus is renowned for generally being more stable overall. I opted for the predecessor which was the wireless n version over the intel equivalent and loads of people were on forums about the intel cards dropping out and having weak signal, meanwhile I enjoyed uninterrupted connection through and though. It hasn't let me down once in the 2 years I've had my laptop, I'd definitely recommend the Killer cards.