Which Operating system

IrishTech

Bronze Level Poster
Hey Everyone

I have a few question as i eventually (in a few months) plan to get a new computer for me last one was for my dad (Which he loved) well till MS deiced he was to go to windows 10 then he hated it had to downgrade him back to 7 :)

the questions I have is the following

1) which OS as i been browsing the web to see which is better for gaming. I see no advantage for gaming to go to 10 except for directx12. Lot of old games that worked in windows 7 don't in 10 something to do with direct draw. which doesn't bother me as I can easily set up a VM but would like to know your personal thoughts.

2) I have a MSDN subscription to so i get access to the OS keys like windows 7 8 and 10 and was wondering if I select no OS what would happen. I mean can I tell them I plan to install windows 7 home for example would they set it up and i would just have to enter a key or would they install a basic version in which case i would need to reformat and do the install my self.

this machine will be purely for gaming and maybe a bit of streaming

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Windows 10 is the favourite for gaming. If you're playing older games, redeeming the key in steam will get you a working Windows 10 version.

You'd have to reinstall from scratch as they would provide an oem test version of Windows and your volume license wouldn't activate it. You specify which version of the os you'll be using so they can provide you with a relevant drivers disk.

Scottyboy99

Personally I've not liked Windows 10 for games. Purely because they have scrapped securom and safedisc from running. As most of my games circa 2002-2010 use these annoying technologies it's blown out half my library. I don't like the technologies but found it too draconian a move my MS. I think users should have a choice. There's some annoying bugs in 10 too, maybe in time it'll be better but it's still an immature OS