Which Processor

CaptainFreezy

Hope you all are having a good start to the new year.

For my new build I've come across the option to go for either an i5 4690K or an i7 4790K.

I will be overclocking it to allow me to play mainly fsx along with a few other games like BF4 and Arma 3. I will probably do some twitch streaming of my FSX now and then, so my question is, will the i7 perform significantly better while FSXing and streaming to warrant the extra price?

Thanks all

Ally (CaptainFreezy)

James.C

Depends entirely on what you're looking to do in the future. Yes the i7 will give you a performance increase across the board (gaming tends to sit only a few fps higher) but if you plan on upgrading your MOBO and CPU in say the next two years then in might not be worth investing in the i7. If however you're planning on sticking with the CPU for a while then it's worth the future investment. I wouldn't say that you'll get a significant improvement opting for the i7 over the i5

*EDIT*

Just to add on what I've said, in some instances you won't actually see an improvement using the i7 and the i5 will out perform it as it's been optimised for an i5

Last edited:

DannyWanny

PCS Marketing
Staff member
Hi there Ally,

The general consensus is that i5 is sufficient if your computer is used for gaming. i7 processors offer hyperthreading (allowing you to do multiple tasks at once) - This would be highly beneficial if you are to be streaming your gameplay or video editing if you are a content creator. You are certainly future proofing yourself with an i7.

I'm not familiar with the requirements for flight simulators, but I don't see why an i7 would not garner an increased performance in comparison to the i5.

CaptainFreezy

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like I will go for the i7 because:

James-I won't be upgrading the motherboard anytime soon, so as you said, it's probably better to go for the i7
Keynes and Danny-You're both recommending the i7.

Also as you guys have been saying, it's nice to have that security of the faster processor for future years.

Once again thanks for your help. My build is creeping towards the finish finally.