Which Prog do I need

markel

I've just recieved my New Overclocked i7-2700k Quad Core(3.50GHz @ max 5.00GHz).
In CPU-Z the Id is Sandybridge @3.5GHz and the speed reads 3.5 and fluctuates a few Hz so is a real-time readout. After benchmarking it returns to 3.5GHz. What I can't see is how high the CPU speed goes during tests.
In order to see how high my overclock is which program can I use to show a history of how fast the CPU reached. Or is it just Overclockable and it's up to me to overclock it?
Like a few people on here I can't see any option on my account page to see any OC info on my PC.
Thanks in advance.

Buzz

Master
When the i7 is overclocked with the booster and not in the BIOS manually, It will fluctuate like that. I Believe its so that the core speed is not always running high.

If you want to change it so that its a stable 4.8 or 5.0 GHZ Constant, I can run you through the steps with you but would take me few to type it all up. I prefer 4.8 myself as its very stable with a multiplier of x48

Using CPU-Z It will tell you bottom left

Core speed
Multiplier
Bus Speed

cpuzi.jpg

Attachments

• cpuzi.jpg
    cpuzi.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

markel

Thank you for the offer of help. I've e-mailed PCS to say I don't believe my PC is overclocked and will see what their answer is.
Here's my CPU-Z

Untitled-1.jpg

Even on the 3DMark results page where CPU's are shown as 4.8 etc GHs mine is reported as 3500mhz. (my score was P9450).

Comparing our screenshots it looks like my Multiplier is set to 35 while yours is 48. 4.8GHz is exactly what I was expecting.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Remember as for_the_buzz said, the overclocking in the newer chips is a booster and the speed will only be increased when it is required, when it is not required your speed will stay at stock speeds.

You need to run some CPU benchmarking programs and watch the speed whilst it is running, then you should be able to see the difference.

Buzz

Master
If you Run 3DMark 11, in your results it will tell you your clock speed
3DMark 11

Also CPUZ will tell you if you push your computer. Use Prime95 and do a stress test or something like that. But as Rakk and I already said, You must have the comp being pushed for the clock to go up to see it, with your comp set as it is.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If you Run 3DMark 11, in your results it will tell you your clock speed
3DMark 11

Also CPUZ will tell you if you push your computer. Use Prime95 and do a stress test or something like that. But as Rakk and I already said, You must have the comp being pushed for the clock to go up to see it, with your comp set as it is.

So the 3.50 GHz is an average? On iddle the cpu would run lower than that?

Buzz

Master
Depending on how its overclocked, yes, when your comp is idle for a period the core speeds will drop. Personally I dont like that method of overclocking, and prefer setting it in the Bios and have it just set rather then fluctuate. But thats just me.

Ruben what kind of CPU temps do you have when running idle?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Depending on how its overclocked, yes, when your comp is idle for a period the core speeds will drop. Personally I dont like that method of overclocking, and prefer setting it in the Bios and have it just set rather then fluctuate. But thats just me.

Ruben what kind of CPU temps do you have when running idle?

Less than 30'C and when gaming goes to around 40 depending on the game.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Same as yours (Eco II fat boy) it fluctuates from 1600 to 4018 when browsing the net or not doing anything which is something I am not sure about.

Buzz

Master
Are you running your fans all on max all the time? Could you do me a favour some stage when you have a spare 10min.

Can you go into your BIOS and copy what your settings are at and send me in PM. (or skype)

Ill be then able to know more on how you are set up. Also what fans are on your fat boy?

markel

Well it's almost sorted. Spent over an hour on the phone this morning to Tech Support. Turns out Turbo mode wasn't enabled in the BIOS so the CPU would never have gone over 3.5GHz. We've set it up now and I have a reading in CPU-Z of 4.8GHz. We've also discovered a prog that shows a real-time speed readout as you are stressing it and thats Prime95. The CPU reaches 4.8 in that.
As a downside and for some strange reason I'm now getting low benchmarks of 18.9 FPS in Heaven, 103,000 in Aquamark and P5406 in 3DMark 11.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Are you running your fans all on max all the time? Could you do me a favour some stage when you have a spare 10min.

Can you go into your BIOS and copy what your settings are at and send me in PM. (or skype)

Ill be then able to know more on how you are set up. Also what fans are on your fat boy?

I'll PM you now.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Well it's almost sorted. Spent over an hour on the phone this morning to Tech Support. Turns out Turbo mode wasn't enabled in the BIOS so the CPU would never have gone over 3.5GHz. We've set it up now and I have a reading in CPU-Z of 4.8GHz. We've also discovered a prog that shows a real-time speed readout as you are stressing it and thats Prime95. The CPU reaches 4.8 in that.
As a downside and for some strange reason I'm now getting low benchmarks of 18.9 FPS in Heaven, 103,000 in Aquamark and P5406 in 3DMark 11.

hi markel,
How big were the fluctuations in your cpu before you got the issue sort it?

markel

There were no fluctuations. The CPU speed was 3.5 in whatever I was doing and never went over that even in the real-time readouts during Prime95. We went through the Bios changing things and eventually discovered Turbo mode not enabled. Enabled that and set the mode to 48 which gave me the 4.8GHz clockspeed I was always after. Prime95 was giving a real-time CPU speed of 4803MHz. Then I did some graphic benchmarks and as I said above they have dropped considerably now.
Crysis 2 ran smoothly yesterday and I was getting over 100fps in FlightsimX. Since doing these changes this morning these are now unplayable. I've e-mailled them but it takes them a while to answer. Can't phone again - I was on for over hour and a half already this morning.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
There were no fluctuations. The CPU speed was 3.5 in whatever I was doing and never went over that even in the real-time readouts during Prime95. We went through the Bios changing things and eventually discovered Turbo mode not enabled. Enabled that and set the mode to 48 which gave me the 4.8GHz clockspeed I was always after. Prime95 was giving a real-time CPU speed of 4803MHz. Then I did some graphic benchmarks and as I said above they have dropped considerably now.

I have the same cpu but not-overclock, the cpu readings just fluctuates from around 1600 to 4018 on CPU-Z whether I am not using the pc or browsing the web. Not sure if it is normal.

markel

You probably have an overclock as the speed goes over the standard 3.5. I'm in no way an expert though. do you get good benchmark results? If so then that's OK and the fluctuations may just be normal for turbo mode.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You probably have an overclock as the speed goes over the standard 3.5. I'm in no way an expert though. do you get good benchmark results? If so then that's OK and the fluctuations may just be normal for turbo mode.

The thing is that I did not request an overclock system and I did not change the bios settings at all, I was told by another forum member that it could be the case of turbo boost increasing it.