Which would you pick?

dafjoh

Okay so I've been looking to make the jump to a laptop for over a year now.
I'm a game dev and use some very intensive programs (As well as intensive gaming). Originally I did want an Octane but the price and portability put me off.

However I'm very impressed with the spec/price of the 1070 Proteus VI & Defiance V especially with the 8850H.

Now my issue is all the heating issues around the defiance so I started to lean towards the Proteus and seemed to be a nice middle ground as the chassis is slightly taller & the exhausts look a little bigger, however the 1080p panel let's it down.

I have seen a thread about someone with a proteus & other mainstream brands also having heating issues with the 8 series CPU's not just chassis issues. I've seen all the small fixes like bios updates and undervolting, however these aren't solid fixes.

I'm aware people who have bad experiences are usually more vocal when leaving reviews so it probably isn't happening to everyone... So I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

What are people's thoughts/experiences. I think more than anything I'm looking to hear from people who aren't being stung by these issues too badly to calm my nerves a bit lol.

I know I'd prefer the spec of the defiance but if the Proteus is actually better for cooling I'd happily go for that! But the Octane is definitely out of budget and not really as portable.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
At the moment, given what I've read on here recently I'd be a bit wary of the Defiance. Which is a shame.- I have the Defiance II and it's an awesome piece of kit.

dafjoh

Is the defiance II a different chassis design?

[Edit: After a quick google... No they're not.]

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Is the defiance II a different chassis design?

[Edit: After a quick google... No they're not.]

Yeah same product family but several generations apart. I bought the DII back in summer 2015. Although it also ran hot initially, a repaste sorted that out.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
TBH in your position I would call PCS and talk through the Defiance V temperature issues with them. They are very open people so if you express your concerns I'm sure they'll be honest with you. If you do decide to go ahead with the purchase then be prepared to stress test it hard when it arrives and return it for a refund if you're not completely happy with the temps.

We have had a lot of people on here complaining about temperatures on the Defiance V but we don't know how representative those are of all the Defiance Vs that have been sold. Customers who are completely happy rarely post back on here so it could be that those reporting problems are a small minority.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
TBH in your position I would call PCS and talk through the Defiance V temperature issues with them. They are very open people so if you express your concerns I'm sure they'll be honest with you. If you do decide to go ahead with the purchase then be prepared to stress test it hard when it arrives and return it for a refund if you're not completely happy with the temps.

We have had a lot of people on here complaining about temperatures on the Defiance V but we don't know how representative those are of all the Defiance Vs that have been sold. Customers who are completely happy rarely post back on here so it could be that those reporting problems are a small minority.

Whilst that's a valid point, it's also worthwhile noting that throttling in general seems to have been an issue with the D.V.

OP, you do have 14 days from delivery to return for a refund if you're not happy, but Ubuysa is spot on: you would really want to put the thing through its paces and torture test it to be certain it meets your expectations.

It's true of course, that unhappy people tend to post far more frequently than happy ones, but the flip side remains that there does seem to have been a noticeably higher amount of traffic about this particular model than others.

dafjoh

I have emailed them about the issue as it's hard for me to contact them at the moment by phone, though had no reply so I might have to. Just hoped to get some genuine feedback before I do.

Whatever I get will get thoroughily tested. I'll quite happily under volt if it's stable enough to do so.

I don't mind a bit of heat as I know it's inevitable with the intensive stuff I do but I also know these newer generations are not a robust as the older second gen so aslong as I can get a few people who've had good temps to show it's not the entire range I'll be happy to give it a whirl.

But running a cpu consistently at 80-90c is going to severely limit its life.

I'll try give them a call tonight.

dafjoh

Just to update this thread, I ended up going with Defiance V.

I spoke to a couple different PCS reps, trawled the web for reviews and finally decided to go with the Proteus for cooling reasons.
Alas! When I had finally made my mind up the Proteus with UK keyboards had sold out. I was going to wait for them to come back into stock but it was a Months wait...

Finally I couldn't wait that long, so I placed my order on the 16th Oct and it arrived on the 24th.

I'll do a proper review next week