Why are Cases right handed?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Apologies for the thread title - I had no idea what to call it! 😀

I’m just curious - every case I have seen that has a window side panel - plastic or glass - have them placed on the left hand side of the case. Which is a shame as my desk setup is such that the PC tower would suit sitting in the left side of the desk where I won’t be able to see anything inside anyway. 🙄

Clearly this because the motherboard standard is to have ports of the left side of the motherboard - so you couldn’t install on the opposite side of the case.

But is there such a thing as a left handed case setup? With window on the right? Some dodgy far flung one off mobo that is designed backwards for us weird people?

Just curious is all!!

Rakk

The Awesome
Its probably just not worth it to make 'opposite' motherboards, all the windowed cases are geared to that way round anyway. Too much effort and money.

But yes mine is on my left as well thus the reason why it doesn't have much of the way of LED's inside it

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Its probably just not worth it to make 'opposite' motherboards, all the windowed cases are geared to that way round anyway. Too much effort and money.

But yes mine is on my left as well thus the reason why it doesn't have much of the way of LED's inside it
Makes sense of course. I guess these things start with one manufacturer getting traction eons ago with a particular design which sells really well - and then every other manufacturer follows suit since.

I’m not a big RGB guy either but at the same time if I’m getting a case with a window it would be nice to be able to show it off - just won’t work on the right side of my desk.

I could always rebuild the house to face the other way I suppose.....

Rakk

The Awesome
I could always rebuild the house to face the other way I suppose.....

Haha, yes, I'd have to do some house redesigning as well and decided that'd be far too silly an idea, very expensive and well would involve far too much effort :)

Stephen M

Author Level
Things are better than they were but it has always been a problem for left-handed people, it is not that long ago that children were forced to write right-handed in schools. There was a real stigma to being left-handed.

Remember a friend, who became a tailor having people think he was mad for trying to buy left-handed scissors - that was 40+ years ago.

Cobblers

Enthusiast
My son (14) writes left handed and he struggles at times with certain tasks. Though he has remarkably good hand writing for his age compared to what mine was at the equivalent age.

Pretty sure there have been teachers in the past who've attempted to have him use with right hand. Strangely enough, he does mostly everything else with his right hand.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Things are better than they were but it has always been a problem for left-handed people, it is not that long ago that children were forced to write right-handed in schools. There was a real stigma to being left-handed.

Remember a friend, who became a tailor having people think he was mad for trying to buy left-handed scissors - that was 40+ years ago.
My mum is left handed, and I'm right handed & using her decent scissors is almost impossible for me

Stephen M

Author Level
Part of a linguistics course I did was on teaching writing to left-handed students. It needs careful consideration as we write left to right for right-handers we can see what has been written but for left-handers it is often obscured. Just simple things like where and at what angle the paper is positioned can be a great help.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I honestly think cases are designed as they are to annoy the majority of the population who are right-handed...if the case was the opposite way round, it would make it easier to work in the case as you could sit in front of it and work...as it is, you have to turn the case round to do anything in it. :rolleyes:
when working in mine i generally lay it on its side

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just turn the case upside down. Job done :)

Oh... make sure the buttons are on the front though, would make turning it on tricky :D

Bigfoot

Grand Master
The cases are obviously designed for the dexterous majority, rather than for the sinister minority 😀

(PS I went to a grammar school, when they still existed, and had to learn Latin. There has to be some reward for all that torture)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The cases are obviously designed for the dexterous majority, rather than for the sinister minority 😀

(PS I went to a grammar school, when they still existed, and had to learn Latin. There has to be some reward for all that torture)
Grammar schools do still exist here in Buckinghamshire

Getting back on topic, are cases right handed or are they actually left handed, as when you look at them from the front the glass side panel is actually on the left hand side............. :unsure:

Grammar schools do still exist here in Buckinghamshire

Getting back on topic, are cases right handed or are they actually left handed, as when you look at them from the front the glass side panel is actually on the left hand side............. :unsure:
They're right handed

lrpc.jpg

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Someone really should learn you how to talk proper.
This is well off topic but relevant to the education drift here.

My first wife was a French teacher in a secondary school in Walsall. One day a pupil asked whether French people made mistakes when speaking. She said "of course they do, just as you make mistakes in speaking English. Next time you make a mistake I'll point it out".

A while later the kids were discussing what they were doing in the evening. One said, "we'm going down pictures" and my wife pointed out that was a mistake, saying that we'm wasn't an English word. "Oh yes miss" they said "but you can't keep saying we am can you?"