Why are SSDs 2.5"?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I just dont see why they mainly use 2.5" versions in 3.5" slots, they do 3.5" SSDs although i could only find one on amazon, and they are clearly not as popular

so is there an obvious reason for 2.5" SSDs over 3.5" other than the fact they can be popped into a laptop and the actual size

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Surely you answered your own question?

Obviously not that easy to source 3.5s and what becomes popular will be produced more, and what isnt will disappear.

And also, as you say, if it works for both PC and Laptop, surely PCS would be better off getting one sort for more economies of scale etc?

Just a thought

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
but you dont get 2.5" HDDs to use them in a laptop, and i just dont get why they started off as 2.5"s surely in speed ways, 3.5" is better, more room etc less heat etc

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
hehe i just realised that at a quiz earlier there was a 'guess the logo' game and surprisingly nVidia logo was on there :) no one else knew it but me :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Well id suggest the reason behind them being smaller is because they dont need to be as big lol. Seems silly I guess, but why make it bigger and therefore only compatible with PC when you could make it smaller and make it compatible with PC and laptop? Surely win win by makign it smaller?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i guess, but surely 3.5" can hold more data, considering the max 2.5" HDD is 750GB and the max 3.5" is 3TB

i reckon they could probably fit at least 1TB SSD in a 3.5 if they wanted too

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Not being funny, but didn't the actual physical size of 'puters etc stop affecting what they can store in about 1975? :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Not being funny, but didn't the actual physical size of 'puters etc stop affecting what they can store in about 1975? :)

Lol well for SSD's etc it doesnt really matter, hence tiny USB sticks etc, but HDD wise, I would imagine a larger disc (like fans on a pc) are quieter when they spin at speeds of 7200rpm etc, so its probably an advantage to have larger drives, although I may be completely wrong haha :D