Why does my 980ti get stuck in a high load state?

Spuff

Expert
If I have my PC on for about 20 minutes, even if running nothing but GPU-Z, my 980ti will go into the state below and stay there. At first it will stay below 60 degrees and will be at about 8% load before spontaneously going into this state. Signing out and back in will return it to sub-60 degrees but then the process will start all over again. 93% load just with Windows sitting there. No overclock. I do have two monitors, but this happens even if one of them has been off all the time. Any ideas?
Windows 10.

high state.PNG

Last edited:

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

Something is definitely using it. I can't see any reason for it to go into some sort of 'test' mode unless there is a software problem with a main controller chip.

Is it possible you have any background projects running such as set@home. folding etc? These would obviously use your card. Is it also possible your computer has been compromised and a hacker is using your computer as a processing bot for Bitcoin mining or similar? Maybe access Resource Monitor and look at CPU, Disk and particularly network usage. You could disconnect your computer from the outside world and restart it and see if it jumps into life without a potential network stimuli.

There are quite a few graphics programs including games that don't even utilise 93% of a GTX980ti.

Keep us posted.

Frank100

Spuff

Expert
My CPU was also constantly at high usage. Turning off something called Java Update Scheduler sorted out the CPU, so I hope that will now also sort out the GPU, so far so good.
There was Java Update Scheduler and there is also Java Update Scheduler (32 bit). The 32 bit one is still there and doesn't seem to cause any issue.
The Java Update Scheduler in processes said it was using about 24% of the CPU (bad enough) but it was in fact contributing an increase of at least 40% CPU usage.
Heaven knows how long that had been going on.

Last edited:

Spuff

Expert
Yes, success! After gaming at the limit the GPU has immediately gone back down to sub 60 degrees. A very nice 52 degrees and 8.1 TDP.

After re-signing in to check some tweaks the Java Update Scheduler 32 bit version activated and caused the same issue. Ending its process stopped the issue.
I have now deleted Java Update Scheduler. It was a highly pernicious thing. Since the internet is one of the first things to set up on a new PC, this may have been going on for the whole life of my PC, and maybe even before. Now my CPU is happily idling between 1 to 4 % instead of staying at 20 to 40%.

Last edited:

Androcles

Rising Star
It's a malware/virus by the sounds of it, there's a nasty little bugger going around that pretends to be jusched.exe (the java scheduler), it's a Trojan that uses your system for bitcoin farming.