Why is £(2x16GB)/2 > £(1x16GB)?

_Rob_

I am trying to understand the price of RAM.

Why is £(2x16GB)/2 > £(1x16GB)

The upgrade prices are:
16GB hyperX IMPACT 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 is £108.83 for (1x16), and £279 for (2x16)
The configurator also shows the same kind of thing.
(part HX424S141B/16)

Why the extra ~£63? Is this for a 'matched pair'. If so how does this effect the
performance compaired to not matching; I already have 16GB, so if I get another
how does this compare with if I had selected 2x16GB originally?

I am not currently looking to upgrade (why=video&Blender&because), but I eventually will want to
increase to 64GB. I hope RAM compatible with what I have will still be available in a year!

I believe the second pair of slots are tricker to get at so I can understand
that as a reason for a higher price on the original build.

Thanks.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It could be the matched pair, or a quirk with PCS's pricing (GTX 1060 £2 cheaper than RX 480, go figure).

While upgrading/ adding more RAM is in principle totally straightforward, RAM that has the same brand/model name and same apparent specs (frequency, CL, etc) can actually not be compatible. There was a user here not long ago adding more RAM that appeared totally identical but that just wasn't compatible. So if you're buying expensive RAM now and you're going to add more later there's some argument for getting it all now.

_Rob_

I am relying on the partnumber being the same meaning it is compatible. If not well that is just not fair :nono:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
With the guy I'm thinking of the part number was the same afaicr. I'm trying to find the topic but can't.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Does the 16GB not reflect the difference in price between the bottom option (4GB?) and the cost of the 16GB. with the 32GB option being the actual cost of the 16GB sticks.

With the above in mind that would suggest that a 16GB stick of RAM is priced at £170 and a 4GB stick of RAM is approx £60.

It's still quite pricey IMO but it explains what's happening a little better.

I would definitely recommend buying the RAM yourself given the current prices available outside.

Edit: Wait, I just realised you're talking about upgrades rather than configurator options. Not sure on that front, I would definitely be buying RAM on my own. I would probably aim at faster RAM too. I believe my laptop can handle 3000.

Last edited:

_Rob_

One second 2400MHz is fast, then 3GHz comes along and makes it slow, So when I upgrade I'll swap out for that.

The 16GHz sticks are about £108. Butfor now I think I will live with this amount.

Thanks.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I was surprised to read that the Octane supports 3000MHz but then saw: http://www.clevo.com/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=946&lang=en

• Dual channel DDR4
• Four 260 pins SODIMM sockets, support DDR4 2133/2400 MHz
(Real operation frequency depends on processor)

Expandable memory from 8GB to 64GB, depends on 4GB/8GB/16GB SODIMM module
• Support XMP 2666/3000 MHz (XMP support depends on processor and
works in dual channel)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I could be wrong but I believe it's similar to the extreme DDR3 modules in that it's more of an "Overclock" option rather than a default support option.