Why would my laptop not recognise a CD when another computer would?

Fuzzball

Bronze Level Poster
I've got myself a nice laptop I've had for about a year now, having had few problems. Just recently though, I tried to load some CDs into my iTunes collection. I haven't had problems with this before, but two or three specific CDs just haven't been working this time.

I open up iTunes and put them in the CD drive. For one of the CDs there is a lot of dodgy sounding chugging before it is eventually recognised, but when actually attempting to copy the files into iTunes, it gets stuck and has to be forcibly stopped. The other CD just isn't recognised by the computer at all. However, I tried loading the CDs into my Dad's desktop tower, and they worked fine with that hardware. I was able to copy the files into his iTunes then transfer them to my laptop.

So I'm just wondering why it is certain CDs aren't working with my laptop, which should in theory have the better hardware, but do work with another, older computer. According to my PCS order, my laptop's disc drive is "4x BLURAY ROM, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE". I tested it with some old CDs that I had previously successfully loaded into iTunes, and it seemed to recognise most of those OK.

Is there something about laptop disc drives that cause these problems? Is it something to do with the way the CDs are manufactured? Is my disc drive faulty? Or is this just a mystery?