Wi-fi issues on new PC, Vortex ST-S

starkey7

Hi all,
I have bought the above PC today and set up as normal, when looking to download a couple of games the Wi-fi connection seems really poor, downloading at 8-10mb/s maximum. I uninstalled the anti virus bullguard and this seemed to boost the DL speed to 25-30. I have virgin 1gb internet and i would be expecting 150-200 consistently. I have an xbox which in the same area in my house downloads at them speeds. I have seen potential for driver changes for the wifi. 6 4200 but would welcome any thoughts or advice on how to fix this issue? My friend also bought the same one today and he is facing the same issue, through an ethernet also, which is strange! Thanks in advance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, yes i have attached bother aerials too
The first thing you need to do on any system is run windows update until there are none left, until then it's not configured.

You need to apply all optional updates too.

If the wifi isn't working enough to apply updates, then plug in with LAN to get the updates applied, then it should work normally.

starkey7

Thanks for the speedy replies, i will double check to make sure all windows updates are completed. I have shut down for the night now but will check tomorrow and update you either way. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it

starkey7

Hi all, i have done all the windows updates and nothing has improved, same for my friend aswell. It is still downloading between 6-10 mb/s through the blizzard client, but also through the steam client too. I have read about the drivers for the wifi 6 4200, and that windows doesnt install the right drivers. Is this true and can anyone help or advise please? Many thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, i have done all the windows updates and nothing has improved, same for my friend aswell. It is still downloading between 6-10 mb/s through the blizzard client, but also through the steam client too. I have read about the drivers for the wifi 6 4200, and that windows doesnt install the right drivers. Is this true and can anyone help or advise please? Many thanks
Can you upload a photo of the rear connections?

Have you reinstalled windows at all?

mcp42

Which band is the Wifi card set to ? Try lowing the card down to 2.4 first and see if this helps. I have seen a brand new laptop struggle with certain BT hubs and going from 5 to 2.4 improved the speed.

Double-click to open the Adapter Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click on Preferred band.
Click the drop-down box and try 2.4 /5

starkey7

Hi see attached, i had to change to black and white to upload sorry. Tried switching to 2.4 ghz and doesnt seem to make a difference. Is there new and or additional drivers for the ax4200? I havent re installed windows it is loaded how it come to me. My friend is having the same issue with this also which is strange. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• E3F8F2F7-F7A2-4493-98F9-F60D18158264.jpeg
    E3F8F2F7-F7A2-4493-98F9-F60D18158264.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 133

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi see attached, i had to change to black and white to upload sorry. Tried switching to 2.4 ghz and doesnt seem to make a difference. Is there new and or additional drivers for the ax4200? I havent re installed windows it is loaded how it come to me. My friend is having the same issue with this also which is strange. Any help is appreciated!
Sorry, could you upload the image again but in colour?

Those aerials don't look properly screwed in to me

Also, could you try deleting the driver in device manager, then reboot and allow windows to install one via windows update?

Your friends ethernet issue is not using the same card, so not same driver, so entirely unrelated unless he's in the same house in which case it's likely an issue with the router.

mcp42

I would turn off all devices in the house, including your mobile phone, etc. remove the driver as above and see if you get any better speeds.
Then start each device and monitor the speed of the PC. It could be a faulty wifi card?