Wi-Fi Problem

I just recently got a laptop from my sister and it's basically a dinosaur.
This laptop is a Thinkpad laptop that runs off of windows 7 32bit. I've tried installing windows 7 64bit on it and no success. Before that when I would go to friends houses and my dads house, I would always have trouble connecting it to the Wi-Fi. I thought it was strange because it had connected to my home Wi-Fi pretty easy. I don't know what to do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just recently got a laptop from my sister and it's basically a dinosaur.
This laptop is a Thinkpad laptop that runs off of windows 7 32bit. I've tried installing windows 7 64bit on it and no success. Before that when I would go to friends houses and my dads house, I would always have trouble connecting it to the Wi-Fi. I thought it was strange because it had connected to my home Wi-Fi pretty easy. I don't know what to do.

Did you install drivers after installing windows?

If it's that old it's likely a 32 bit CPU which is why you couldn't install 64bit.

Did you install drivers after installing windows?

If it's that old it's likely a 32 bit CPU which is why you couldn't install 64bit.

I was not allowed to install any other types of windows on it. I was even trying to install an old windows vista on it. Nor did I install drivers. My more concern is why can't I connect it to the wi-fi at my friends and dads house but i can at my house.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was not allowed to install any other types of windows on it. I was even trying to install an old windows vista on it. Nor did I install drivers. My more concern is why can't I connect it to the wi-fi at my friends and dads house but i can at my house.

You won't be able to install any 64bit version of windows at all, the CPU can't support it.

If you haven't installed drivers then windows isn't configured yet. You'll need to download your chipset drivers and wifi drivers from the manufacturers website.

You won't be able to install any 64bit version of windows at all, the CPU can't support it.

If you haven't installed drivers then windows isn't configured yet. You'll need to download your chipset drivers and wifi drivers from the manufacturers website.

installing windows 7 64bit is not my problem. My problem is with the wi-fi. My laptop is basically being picky about which wi-fi it wants to connect to. I can connect to my home wi-fi no problem. connecting to dads wi-fi, problem, doesn't wanna connect. friends wi-fi, problem, doesn't wanna connect. Please focus on my wi-fi problem and not my windows installation problem.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
installing windows 7 64bit is not my problem. My problem is with the wi-fi. My laptop is basically being picky about which wi-fi it wants to connect to. I can connect to my home wi-fi no problem. connecting to dads wi-fi, problem, doesn't wanna connect. friends wi-fi, problem, doesn't wanna connect. Please focus on my wi-fi problem and not my windows installation problem.

My initial comment still stands I'm afraid. It's likely your drivers are not configured correctly. You'll need to download the latest from the manufacturers website and install.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Steady on, you have one of our most experienced members trying to help you here, you'd be wise to pay attention to what he's suggesting.

His advice holds; it's essential that all the correct drivers are installed before you start trying to troubleshoot your WiFi issue.

After you've checked that all drivers are properly installed you should check that your wireless adapter is setup to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server addresses automatically. It's possible that you have a static IP address configured for your home and that (probably) won't work anywhere else. Getting all the correct drivers installed first is however a must.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Yup agree with everything said. I know some Lenovo's in the past that originally shipped with Windows XP had no proper Windows 7 drivers so ended up being forced to use what are effectively the wrong drivers.

Which wireless card is it? It isn't beyond the realms of possibility, for example, that it doesn't support what may be more modern wireless standards in use at your dad's place.

All of which is conjecture until you've confirmed the drivers are up to date.

I get all the drivers part, but, if I didn't have all of the correct ones installed, wouldn't it NOT connect to any wi-fi at all??? It's connecting perfecting fine to my home wi-fi but not anyone else's.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I get all the drivers part, but, if I didn't have all of the correct ones installed, wouldn't it NOT connect to any wi-fi at all??? It's connecting perfecting fine to my home wi-fi but not anyone else's.

No, incorrect drivers can cause many issues with unusual connections, it wouldn't mean it just wouldn't connect.

We can't advise any further until we know the systems on the latest drivers and windows is up to date.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

No, incorrect drivers can cause many issues with unusual connections, it wouldn't mean it just wouldn't connect.

We can't advise any further until we know the systems on the latest drivers and windows is up to date.

As above, but it IS worth checking the IPv4 settings for your adapter, if they are not set to automatic you WILL have problems.