Wifi behaving oddly (Linux Mint 17)

ArtisanC

I'm using Linux Mint 17 and my wifi is now behaving oddly.

It will disconnect randomly ever few hours then just not reconnect and wont pickup anything.

To get it reconnecting again I have to do a restart or shut down and then when I do I get a kernel panic error (where can I find that error in order to post it here)?

So then I have to do a hard shut down and so it then scans and fixes my hard drive just for it to happen again an hour or so later.

I'm a full time developer so use my laptop 90% of the time and this is driving me crazy.

Thanks!!

:taz:

ArtisanC

Right, as crazy as this sounds I've kept Thunderbird and Skype shut for a few hours and I haven't had one crash or wifi issue. Any ideas? :wacko:

I think it's Skype (4.3) as I opened it and my computer started crashing again (it's been doing this also randomly, the whole computer seizes up and I'm forced to go into the tty and have to kill a few processes as weirdly Skype seems to make Chrome and other applications crash??).

This is happening on a fresh 64bit installation. I'm seriously starting to think Microsoft is having me mine them bitcoins on the sly. :D

Maxy

I'm not using Linux but I'm having the same issues. I thought I fixed it but I didn't, it just let me use the internet for an extra hour.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Right, as crazy as this sounds I've kept Thunderbird and Skype shut for a few hours and I haven't had one crash or wifi issue. Any ideas? :wacko:

I think it's Skype (4.3) as I opened it and my computer started crashing again (it's been doing this also randomly, the whole computer seizes up and I'm forced to go into the tty and have to kill a few processes as weirdly Skype seems to make Chrome and other applications crash??).

This is happening on a fresh 64bit installation. I'm seriously starting to think Microsoft is having me mine them bitcoins on the sly. :D

Skype has gone way downhill since MS got hold of it unfortunately... what laptop and wifi card do you have?

hogfish

Bronze Level Poster
I'm using Linux Mint 17 and my wifi is now behaving oddly.

It will disconnect randomly ever few hours then just not reconnect and wont pickup anything.

I'm a full time developer so use my laptop 90% of the time and this is driving me
:taz:

But you haven't told us which driver you are using, nor as others have said, which wifi hardware.
I assume iwlwifi ?

I had some problems with an earlier kernel, but these have gone away with the in-tree version of iwlwifi
on 3.16-2. Of course it might be wpa-suplicant etc...