WiFi Issues - Network card problem?

93tomw

Hi guys,

We have just moved house and set up with a new ISP (zzoomm) on a 1gb connection.
We can connect to the new network fine on every device except for my partner's PC (see specs below)

The WiFi offers both a 2.4GHz or a 5GHz connection. She can connect to the 2.4GHz but it is painfully slow (~7mbs) and her PC doesn't even have the option to connect to the 5GHz connection. I assume this is because of the wireless network card currently in her PC only being 2.4GHz?

Would we just need to upgrade the wireless network card to a 5GHz one and she'd be good to go? If so, we'd appreciate any recommendations that would fit with her current build.

FWIW both PCs are in the same room in the house, so I don't think it's an issue with the signal strength.

Specs:

Case PCS SPECTRUM RGB MID TOWER CASE (WHITE/PINK)
Processor (CPU) Intel® CoreTM i3 Quad Core Processor i3-12100 (3.30GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 - HDMI
1st M.2 SSD Drive 512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (3300 MB/R, 2200 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive 1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply CORSAIR 550W CV SERIESTM CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 80 V2 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT
Operating System Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]

Thank you for any help!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You should be able to simply replace the wifi add-in card.

This is the premium one PCS currently offer (Tenda AX5400):

But if you go to your account page, click your order, you should see an [Upgrade This Order] option near the bottom, which will show you whether you can order it (or something else) as a replacement.
2024-05-24_10-26-31.jpeg

You won't save much by buying a generic AX210 version from eBay/amazon, as they're about the same price.

Might have to download the new device drivers before swapping over (and removing the old ones of course).