WiFi without a WiFi PCIe Card — Recommendations?

Rhubbarb

Hello,

I have a Cosmos II 17.3" laptop. I have a working Ethernet connector and working USB2 and USB3 ports, but for reasons I've posted about separately, I currently can't use the laptop's WiFi card.

I am considering a temporary solution of using either a WiFi-to-USB3 or WiFi-to-Ethernet adapter.

Could you recommend devices please? I would prefer to spend relatively little. How well is the WiFi signal picked up (i.e. how good is the range)? What sort of bandwidth can I expect when the signal is strong?

My system has Linux installed, so if you happen to know whether the device is compatible with Linux, that would be useful; otherwise I will try to find out myself.

[The reason for this query is related to availability of Linux drivers for the Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter, but I've posted about that separately.]

Thanks.

steaky360

Can you get USB3 wifi dongles? I didn't think wireless was fast enough to require more than USB2 - either way, I used to use a dongle for my PC before I used homeplugs (which might be a worthy consideration also) and it worked fine. I think the router is more important than the wireless card on the PC/laptop (assuming its not simply rubbish).

Rhubbarb

Can you get USB3 wifi dongles? I didn't think wireless was fast enough to require more than USB2
Maybe not. USB2 then. (I hadn't thought about the relative bandwidths.)

… I used homeplugs (which might be a worthy consideration also) and it worked fine.
"Homeplugs"? Do you mean those power-socket plugs with an Ethernet sockets that use the house's mains cables for networking?
I have seen those available on-line, but it would make me nervous to plug a data cable into a power plug (that's partly irrational, and partly worry about using potentially faulty imported cheap electronics).

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback.

steaky360

Yeah I mean the power socket Ethernet adapters, I've never had (or even heard of) any problems. Just get some from a reputable brand and you'll be fine. I use TP-Link ones for example, but there are lots out there.

A USB dongle also works fine though (or did for me in any case).

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Homeplugs are your best option if you can't connect directly,they provide a better and more reliable connection than a wireless USB adaptor.
Homeplugs are basically a wired ethernet connection through your domestic wiring,plug one homeplug in to a wall socket next to your router then connect an ethernet cable from the homeplug to your router,plug the other homeplug to a wall socket next to your PC & connect an ethernet cable from that to your PC,very useful if it's going to be problematic connecting directly with an ethernet cable.
Ethernet cables are usually supplied with homeplugs,they are perfectly safe to use,but you get what you pay for,best look at reviews before buying,as with anything else really.